TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :wavey:

I have a question regarding Omeprozole - What dose do you take, how long have you been taking it and what do you take it for ???

I have been taking omeprozole now for about 5 years, when i first started taking it i was on 20mg daily which worked great, i take it for heartburn (i was getting it constantly) after only taking it for 2 days the heartburn went away. About 8 months ago i started getting heartburn again plus when i got up in the mornings i had it really bad which made me feel sick and it was also quite painful, my gp said that some acid had leaked back up whilst i was laid down and burnt my esphagus, she upped the omeprozole to 40mg daily but i was still having probs, i now take 80mg daily (40mg at 10am and 40mg at 10pm).

I am not sure if this is a common dose to be taken, but i had to speak to the pharmacy where i get all my meds from as they had provided me with the wrong amount, i was explaining to them that i take 80mg daily and he seemed quite shocked at the amount i take.
I have been taking this dose now for about 6 months and so far so good.

So i was just curious as to what dose other people took and the reasons why you take it.

Thank you very much for reading my thread and thanks in advance for helping me out.

Take care :hug: Jo :hug:

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Jo,

I take omeprazole 20mgs daily. I take it because my stomach bothers with all the meds I take. I think I have been on it for the last 4 years.

I looked it up online and found this.

For the management of Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome the starting dose for adults is 60 mg daily, and the dose is adjusted based on either the response of symptoms or the actual measurement of acid production. Doses greater than 80 mg should be divided. Doses up to 120 mg three times a day have been used in the treatment of Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome.
http://www.medicinenet.com/omeprazole/article.htm

I know you don't have this syndrome but the doses up to 120mg 3 times a day for it. Maybe your pharmacy has never seen that amount be given?

You said your were doing great on 80 mgs daily. I am glad it is working for you.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lyn :wavey:

First of all thanks for taking the time to look up the info and reply. I hope you are keeping well and it would be really good to catch up with you in chat soon.

I just thought i would update you on whats happened today, first of all my own gp is on maternity leave (not sure if i mentioned that before, if i did then sorry :p) the lady who deals with repeat prescriptions rang me today and questioned the amount of omeprozole that i was taking so i explained how my gp had upped the dose gradually until we found a dose that worked. She said she would have to speak to another doc before she would give me that kind of dose.

So later on this afternoon another doctor rang me, i told him the full story and he said that the normal dose is 40mg and he would never and as never known anyone else prescribe that amount, i was quite shocked. He said that i must have some kind of problem and not just normal heartburn to warrant that amount, he mentioned an ulcer which worried me as i take warfarin and it can be dangerous, so he wants to see me and examine me and if so send me for further tests doing to find out whats wrong. He as done me a prescription but only for enough omeprozole to last me 2 weeks.

So keeping my fingers crossed :fingers: that there is nothing else wrong, my list of probs is getting too long and i don't want anything else adding to it.

Take good care of yourself :hug: Jo :hug:

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Jo,

It is great to see you on the boards.:) I have missed you and wondered how you were doing. It would be great to have a chat in chat.:hehe:

:hug::hug:I hope nothing else is going on with you. I know how it feels to keep adding to the list. I know how much of a pain being on warfarin is .I was on it for 4 months.
Couldn't they ring your GP just to ask about your case? (even if she is on maternity leave?)

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
((((((((Jo)))))))))) just wanted to add my hugs to the equation :hug: I hope this can be sorted out soon and they can get you feeling better.

love
Lily

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Jo

Im on 40mg omprazole as the lupus attacked the muscles in my eosophagus

for acid reflux and heart burn. 20mg didnt work for me. Not so bad the side effects as long as your not a man. Omprazole gives you boobs. :rotfl::eek:

Take care hope you get sorted soon, surly its in your notes? or could they give her a quick phone call to check.

((((((((((((((((((((big hug)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

dixy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,

that does sound like a lot but i am no doctor (even though i sometimes feel like one cos i reckon i spend more time in hospitals than they do!). I take 20mg and have done on and off since i was diagnosed 5 years ago. i was told it was to 'protect my stomach'. i never saw a benifit but when I came off them (my decision to reduce the amount of drugs i take) I was told to go back on it by my new consultant.

Sounds like you need to see your doc and tell them of your probs, u shouldn't be getting the heartburn so badly.

X Nadia

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
dixy;545225 said:
Omprazole gives you boobs. :rotfl::eek:
Jeez mine are big enough!!!! ;)

I take 20mg in the morning as a preventative measure for the meds I take.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all :wavey:

Thank you very much for replying to my post, i see that nobody else is taking the same dose as i am which is making me wonder if i am taking too much but i am only doing as my doc tells me too.

Regarding dixy's quote - :eek: i don't want my boobs to grow anymore but i suppose martin wouldn't complain :wink2::wink2::wink2:

I will see what happens on friday when i see this new gp and he as examined me, i will let you know.

Thanks again, take care :hug: Jo :hug:

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Jo

Best of luck with the doctor. I take Lansoprazole which is a different drug but of the same category, i.e. a proton pump inhibitor. My daily dosage is 30mg and fortunately that works well for me. I have been on this since January 2006 so thats over three years now.

Your 80mg daily dose seems like a very high dose and contradicts all dosing advice I have read, unless there is some other underlying cause for your symptoms. Its good that the other doctor is sending you for some tests to check this out even though Im sure its the last thing you want ;)

I think its important that we review medications every so often. Its very easy for doctors to become complacent and simply prescribe until the patient reports feeling 'better'. Maybe thats not true of your doctor but I would have thought that he should have carried out some other tests by now to check why the 'normal' dose was not relieving your heartburn and acid reflux symptoms.

The very best of luck with your tests and do let us know how you are. I know from experience that the pain and discomfort of heartburn and acid reflux is very difficult to live with :hugbetter:

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts