TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
helppppppp! ive been in what my gp is calling a lupus flare for approx 3 weeks now! new meds not working now on low dose pred for a couple of weeks. thing is i have now started to get what feels like really bad siatica!

i cant walk very far without having to stoop over. pain is really bad and i freaking bout it!

at first rest would allow pain to subside but now not and i'm left with numbness too!

could it be siatica and what causes it! and more importantly how do i get rid of it!!!!!!!

nettyxxx

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

I am sorry you are suffering! It could be sciatica, my ortho said that we tend get more pulls and tears due to the Lupus and the medications.

Do you have shooting pain in your left leg?

I have found that the thremal wraps that you can buy at the store work really good. I wear them at night and when I wake up I am not as sore. I use them durring the day too.

I hope you find some relief.

Stephanie

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Aww Netty, you can't seem to catch a break can you. Heat n stuff helps, maybe a combo of a lil heat pad for 10 mins then some frozen peas? Apparently the old nurse style for helping this kind of pain :hug:

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Netty,

I alternate heat and cold. Also a pillow between or under your knees when lying down sometimes helps. Stretching the hamstring slightly will sometimes relieve some of the pain also.

If it is still bad on Monday you should see your doctor.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi Netty,

I had a terrible problem with low back pain, shooting pains down my left leg and numbness some years ago. A physical therapist discovered a vertebra in my lumbar spine was slipping behind of or in front of another vertebra off and on. I was able to correct the problem by stretching my spine gently over a balance ball, strengthening the muscles in my core via exercises using a balance ball and a form of traction. For traction, I would hang from an overhead bar, stretching my spine and taking deep breaths until my vertebra popped into place. By doing all of this for a couple of years, I was able to correct the problem. I no longer have to worry about it.

What I had going on may or may not have anything to do with what you have going on. Also, one should never push one's body too hard when in acute pain. For now, moist heat (hot water bottle or a hot shower) or another form of radiant heat works best.

Hugs,

Barb

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replies but perhaps i should expand my symptoms!

Back pain starts when i have been walking for about 5/10 mins. it starts as a burn and moves through my hips and abdomen, down back and front of thigh to my knees. If i dont stop and try to walk through pain it moves on past my knees right down to ankles and feet. To ease the pain i have to bend forward. Resting also makes pain subside or did til today. I now have a constant dull ache in my legs!

I will see doctor again tommorrow but would like some more advice if possible!

Nettyxxx

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
How did the doc go netty? I have a similar problem with the burning, my GP said it's the desease and the wrong signals going to the nerve endings that causes the burning. pain I can handle but that burning is terrible:worried:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Netty,

Nice to chat with you yesterday and I am so sorry your dealing with so much pain. Maybe a warm bath with some epsome salts may help.

I am glad your seeing the doctor tomorrow and hope you get some relief.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why did i think he would know how to help!

Maybe i am asking too much, maybe my expectations of a pain free exsistance is impossible. Maybe i'm just out and out crazy!!!!!!!:eek:

I could not get an appointment with GP but a telephone consultation. I was to ring him at 11.45am and talk direct with him. OK i phoned and accepted that he was with another patient still and he would ring me back!:rolleyes:

He did if some what later and i explain these new symptoms i'm getting with my back! The line goes silent! "Hello!" i say "Are you still there?" "Em.....yes have you had problems with your back before?" i answer him no although i had explained that my back was usually the best bit on me!" :lol:

So he ums and Ahs a bit more and eventually says i need to see you!

So one more day in pain, but at least i see him tommorrow!!!!!:(

Heres hoping for an explaination but not holding my breath!!!!!!!:p

Take care all:wink2:

Nettyxxx

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Netty,

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow. I will be sending positive vibs your way.:goodvibes:

Please let us know how you turn out.
Love,
Lyn

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
It is much better for him to see you than diagnose you over the phone. He needs to check your range of motion, your reflexes, lower extremity pulse and so on. Be as graphic as you can when explaining exactly where the pain is and how it moves. Also be sure to mention the numbness.

Good luck,
Lazylegs

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Netty,
It sounds like you do need to see the doctor. I hope that he helps you to feel better soon. You are not crazy, I have talked to you, you are a sane as anyone here. Lupus does strange things and causes strange pain. They often roam around my body looking for a place to settle for a few hours lol. Please let us know how you are getting on with your back pain and what the doctor said.

I do hope you feel better very soon.

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all thanks for the much needed support!

Well saw GP and he asked me questions this time which is unusual. Did a good exam and has now sent me for x ray which i get tommorrow! seems to think it could be spinal stenosis!

more meds but hey i gotta be able to walk!

see what xray says huh!

nettyxxxx

·
11,405 Posts
(((Netty)))

Sending good vibes your way tomorrow.:goodvibes::goodvibes:

Please tell us how it goes for you.
Love,
Lyn

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
get xray results tues! i hope something shows up. i cant live like this anymore!

nettyxxx

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well x rays were clear of any bone problems so thats good news but does not explain why i have this back pain! i have not done anything to injure it in any way so guess its inflammation. more meds to help with pain and keep me as active as possible. if no better in a few weeks i have to go back!

so still no answers to anything!

Flare seems to have calmed down with pred and i;m not feeling so down. finished short course now though and am praying it was enough to keep it away for a while a least!

take care everyone!

nettyxxx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts