TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure how to put this but took son to school walking back just before going dowm the path to front door sudden Urgent to wee yes you can guess the next thing omg i cant beleave i did that ive had it on and of but this was the wosed ive ever had has anyone had this is it normal in some ways sure i dont have any infection cos no pain or any smelling :eek:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
It is not normal no because normal functioning is to be able to control the need to pee. So something is wrong. However it is an extremely common problem and as you say very embarrassing. There are a number of possible causes for this stress or urge incontinence so see your doctor about it.
I have had bad problems this year and supposed it was due to age and obesity and it wasn't much consolation to read that something like half of people over 65 are affected and lead severely restricted lives because of it.

The GP gave me pills called Ditropan which have as good as ' cured' it. He prescribed two a day but I started getting palpitations and arrythmia so I cut it to one and find that works very well. What a relief ! It tightens bladder muscles or something- I have forgotten exactly what. Only thing is, it causes a very very dry mouth which is worrying because of its possible effects on the teeth and oral hygiene so I am now investigating mouth washes and such.

There can be gyny reasons too and a little op can remedy it if that is the cause.
By the way, you can have a UTI without the usual symptoms pain or smelly pee or even obvious frequency, although the times I have had that asymptomatic UTI, I had been feeling out of sorts and had some slight cramping like indigestion or PM cramps.
So, see your GP especially if it is at all frequent, more than a one off.

Good Luck
Clare

·
Registered
149 Posts
Would be a good idea to check out whether you are retaining urine (not emptying properly, which can then lead to urgency and overflowing). In the UK I'd say get referred to a continence advisor, but not sure who in the US. What you want is something like a urology nurse who can either do a bladder scan after you have emptied to see if you are retaining, or to have urodynamic studies done (which show what the bladder muscles are doing, as well as how full your bladder gets, etc.). If you are retaining, then long term this can lead to increased infections, so it is best to get it checked out early.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Definitely follow the others' advice. This isn't normal and you need to find a good urologist and see what's up. I had the same problem for my entire life, off and on. Then I was dx with chronic inflammation of the urethra and bladder. It's called interstitial cystitis and remarkably, when I went on plaquenil and prednisone at the beginning of my treatment of lupus, my IC faded away. I have had a few small flares and a UTI or two, but none of the horror stories of my earlier life.

There are a lot of treatments now for various problems with the bladder. It is a terrible feeling to lose control like that -- you don't have to live with it.

Sunny

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
w3nDy,

Clare and the others gave you very good information. I just wanted to chime in and let you know that things like this usually happen to all of us ne time or another. Mine, yes I said mine was one morning several years ago when I woke up in bed and found that I wet the bed some time in the night. Was I embarrassed, you bet. The next time I went to my doc, I told him and he felt that my problem was more of a weakened bladder muscle issue after having four children, which is quite common. He also thought that maybe I was just in a very deep sleep.

The only thing that you didn't mention is if you take diuretics. I have noticed that I am more prone to having to rush to the bathroom about an hour after taking my morning doses of Lasix and Aldactone. I normally do not go very far for the first hour of my day so I am not "caught".

Good luck and I hope everything works out,
Nancy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all for info
went to GP she thinks its from my IBS so got me on some tablets so far be dry but do go to the toilet alot i do drink alot of tea but so does my mum but still go alot more than her but i guess every1 diffrent i did a urine test and was all normal so i just have to w8 and see if the IBS tabs are helping with that problem
so far so good but its not like i had it every day just now and again

hugzzzzzzz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts