The Lupus Forum banner

One depressed dog ..........

555 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  acard 
#1 ·
today when I was out looking for a particular shop, I stumbled over an enormous pet shop I had never been to. So, I ducked inside, and came out $60 lighter hahaha.

which meant of course that I couldn't afford those new pants for work that I desperately need from the shop I never did find, but never mind.

What i did buy was some boots for my dog with the sore paws - they look like this

http://di1.shopping.com/images/pi/dc/23/b3/39268000-177x150-0-0.jpg

The idea is that I will then be able to take her out to the dog park when her paws are looking awful - otherwise the vet wants me to keep her away until they heal up a bit. She seems to pick up infections in them when the weather gets damp. It's not the walking, it's the damp ground that is the problem. These little shoes are made from leather and nylon.

She only needs to wear one of them at the moment while that foot heals - I put it on her when she got home, gave her lots of treats etc etc, but she was seriously depressed. She walked around holding her foot way up in the air like she was saying 'look at my sore paw', it was SO funny. I will try and get a photo of her tomorrow.

In the end she didn't go for a walk in them tonight as I wasn't sure I had the right size and thought I may have to swap them (have read the instructions, remeasured them and it all seems fine) so tomorrow I have decided that I will just put one on her sore paw at the last minute when we get out of the car at the dog park. She will just have to get used to it.

She has a polar fleece coat that she hated at the beginning - she is rather like a wippet (small dobie cross), absolute skin and bone, very short hair, so really feels the cold. I put her coat on if she gets the shakes. She hated her coat at first, is still not keen on it when it goes on, but forgets about it pretty quickly. I put it on overnight if it is very cold as we don't heat the house overnight.

She is still looking very depressed. I also bought both dogs one of those roasted canon bones that they can have in the house (their favourite) and she is pointedly ignoring hers because she is offended by the whole dog shoe episode. And because she is ignoring hers, and she is top dog, Tommy won't touch his either because Rachel hasn't told him he is allowed to.

I am sure they will eat them eventually (and these are there all time favourites) but really, I am feeling like I might as well have saved myself the $10 for their special treat .....

Dogs are just so silly sometimes, but they always make me laugh.

cheers

raglet

See less See more
#2 ·
Raglet:

I can just picture rachel with her dainty foot in the air and a sad face on!

We had two golden retrievers, one of them was very allergic to grass when it was seeding, to treat her we had to get her shaved. The other pup was so upset that she didn't get shaved she wouldn't come near anyone...we went and got her shaved too (they looked like yellow labs after that) and she hopped around like she was a pup. We always had to get them shaved together after that.

Thanks for the chuckle! Hope you are feeling better.

Love Ya - Stephanie

#4 ·
Hi Raglet,

I had that problem with Glen too. Thing is dogs can get around on three legs, so, as you say he was holding his foot off the floor. So I slapped all four boots on and threw him a ball :rotfl: and guess what, depression gone. Mind he is a bit of a strong character so maybe it wasn't bothering him that much :)

I hope they work well and don't fall off

Katharine

#5 ·
Rachel did GREAT with her boot on at the park. She wasn't keen when I put in on in the car, but she was so excited to be at the dog park she got over it pretty quick. I watched her like a hawk as I didn't know if I had it on tight enough - it came off pretty quickly in the long grass, but seeing I was watching her so closely I found it very easily and put it back on more tightly. It then stayed on for the rest of the walk. I didn't want to pull so tight on the velcro strap and restrict blood flow so it was a bit tricky to know how tight to pull.

She had a great time - I am so happy about this. She even had it on when she came into the house after the walk, and was ignoring it. This is such a problem solver for us, and any time any of her feet look a bit raw i will put a boot on it so help prevent infection. And seeing I have 4 of them, I can wash them a lot in hot soapy water as I need to keep them really clean if I am using them for infected feet.

She is out on the deck chewing on her bone and loving every minute of it.

cheers

raglet

#6 ·
That's great news Raglet :)

Our dogs do give us so much joy, we don't like seeing them down.
Here's to loads of good romps in the park!

Katharine

#9 ·
Awwww Raglet,

I am glad that Rachel accepted her boot. I can picture her going on 3 legs with the bad foot up in the air. I hope the boot clears up her foot fast.

We put those boots on Keebler in the winter time when it is below 0.
If we don't he just stands there trying to lift as many paws as he can out of the snow.:shiver: He walks so funny like he is a high stepping horse everytime we put them on him.:lol:

#10 ·
This is sooo funny :lol:. I'm glad your pooch is doing better.

When my dog cut his paw a few years ago I used a child's sock to protect it and he so played up to get sympathy. Even after it healed if we put the sock on he would act like it was sore again.

Gotta luv 'em.................

#11 ·
awww loopyloo - that is such a cute story. Dogs are just so funny !

raglet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.