The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
My Name Is Billie I Am 50 I Was Diagnosed Six Years Ago By Skin Biopsy With Systemic Lupus. I Have Been Going To An Internal Medicine Doctor For A Few Years Now I Cannot Afford To Go To A Rheumy Since The Only One Within Miles Does Not Except Medicare. Recently I Have Been Trying To Help My Sister Who Was Dealing With Losing Her 27 Year Old Son To Cancer.....on May 17 We Had A Vow Renewal For His Wife And Him Thier Smallest Child Was Sick And Turned Out To Be Strep....on Monday My Nephew Passed Away And I Started Feeling Bad. My Throat Was Sore Had A Headache Nausea And Usual Pain And Fatigue And Fever So I Called My Doctors Office And Requested To See Doctor And Told Nurse Symptoms And She Informed Me That Adults Could Not Get Strep And That I Did Not Need To See The Doctor And They Called In Zyrtec To The Pharmacy......what Should I Do I Am At A Loss.....any Advice Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hi there,

First of all let me tell you how sorry I am for your loss... There is enough stress in every day living without having to lose someone you care for...And we all know that stress can bring on a flare...

Whoever you spoke to is dead wrong and doesn't know what she is talking about... I have had strep twice in my life... And let me tell you it isn't fun... The one time I had it I could not even swallow my own saliva... The second time wasn't as bad, but I think I caught it early enough...

I would go to the ER.. or see someone else... you should have a swab done to see if it is strep... They then can put you on the right meds...

Take care of yourself and let us know what happens...

Again I am so sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you and your family...

Love Penny

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello and welcome,

I'm terribly sorry to hear of all you have been through lately.

I agree with penny, don't take their word for it. You need a second opinion and I would insist until you get it!

Do you have a good regular GP who could maybe do something about this?

hugs to you,
:hug:

Katharine

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Billie,

I am truly sorry to hear of your recent family loss!

Like Penny I agree 100% that you have been given the wrong advice!

I've had strep many times in the last few years and so has my husband and were both over 40!

In my opinion a nurse should not be offering a diagnoses over the phone, she's there to offer advice only and filter out those that just have colds and probably do not need an appointment! The only way to diagnose is with an examination - phone back and speak to someone else in more authority to get that appointment - complain to!

Even if you do not turn out to have strep you may need some other increase in meds to help with the flare!

Take care and good luck and hope you feel better soon!

Lesley

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks For The Replys

I Would Like To Thank You All Very Much For Well Wishes And Advice I Was Feeling Slighted By Nurse And Needed Some Input And It Is Very Much Appreciated Thank You To All
Billie

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Billie, please let us know how you are and if you see another medical sort of person for a strep test ...... we really do care and want to know. And please accept my condolences for your loss. Stress of this kind can make you truly sick. And sadness........

Good wishes coming your way,
Sunny

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Billie,I hope you get some better treatment, you need it. This Nurse sounds like a dangerous fool!
Thinking of You and sending a Hug,
x Lola

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I Did Have Strep

Hey Everyone Thanks Again For All The Replies I Did Have Strep... Ear Infection In Both And Sinus Infection.... I Went To Urgent Treatment Center And The Made Me Take Antibiotics Before I Left And Am On Ten Days Worth. I Am Taking Results To Dr And Explaining His Nurses Diagnosis...thanks Again Billie

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi again Billie,

I am so glad you got that sorted and you are definitely right about pointing out what that nurse said to your doc :mad: as it is unforgiveable.

anyway, I'm relieved you didn't just ignore it,
Katharine

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I'm glad too Billie!

Hope the antibiotics kick in soon so you can get back to feeling a litle more normal!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Good for you Billie ! I hope the antibiotic works well - you might need it longer than well people would. Get checked out that all the infection has gone. It is important to check out possible infections as opposed to a lupus flare as unchecked infections can have serious long term consequences especially for people who are already immunocompromised

That so called nurse deserves sacking for incompetence and pig ignorance.

I am also sorry to hear what a terrible time you have been having
Hugs a\nd here's to better days
Clare

1 - 11 of 11 Posts