The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure this has anything to do with lupus and most likely it doesn't but maybe someone knows what i'm talking about and can offer some advice.

I have a very tender and raw place on my tail bone. Pardon me foor being graphic but it is right in the crack of my butt and it hurts terribly. I can hardly sit as it puts pressure on it. The only reason I think it could be related to my lupus is because I was bothered with it shortly before I was dx'ed and have had reoccurances with it several times in the past 4 yrs. When it is not raw, I have noticed that the skin in that area is very thick and hard.I know lupus effects the skin but I have never heard of this before. I keep it clean and dry and put neosporin on it but nothing helps so far. If it doesnt get better soon I guess I will have to go and bare my behind for the doctor....please sombody help me...I really don't want to go to the doctor for this.

Huggs,
Mary

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think it's definitely something to mention to your doctor at the next regular appointment if nothing else. How long do these symptoms last? It doesn't sound especially like lupus, although you never know.

Hope it ends soon...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hiya

If it keeps recurring you should get it checked out.

You can get a pilonidal sinus there and you can also have (even be born with) a very, very tiny hole that can develop into a pilonidal sinus if not sorted out (quite simply).

Probably is no such thing, but worth checking because if you are unlucky they can get quite nasty.

They can repeatedly appear to 'heal' over on the surface so it appears that they have gone, but the tiny hole remains under the surface of the skin forming a permanent weakness that can break open again.

If they heal over and there is any infection inside the tiny hole this can form a tunnel into the tissue ('tracking') and this is not good.

I would go and get it checked myself.

Take good care

:love:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Mary
Sorry to hear about your problem. I can really sympathise as I have suffered in the past with a recurring pilonidal sinus (abscess) as described by Alwin and have had 3 operations to remove it. I wasn't diagnosed with Lupus when I had this problem, so I'm not really sure if it is definitely connected or not. Can I ask some really personal questions and I apologise in advance.... How old are you, because I was told that it is very unusual in anyone over the age of 30, I'm now 38 and haven't had one for about 10 years. Also, if it is a pilonidal sinus it usually bursts after a few days and when it does it's really smelly ... I'm so sorry to be asking these but I hope it helps.

It's called "truck drivers bottom" here because long distance truck driver's seem to suffer for some reason.

Please get yourself checked by a Doctor - they really have seen it all before so don't be embarassed, I once had a Surgeon and a bunch of student doctors looking at my post op bottom!

I hope I haven't offended you or put anyone off their dinner. :sorry:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyon for the replys.
To the best of my knowledge it only a raw place and not an abscess. It's like a crack within my crack...LOL. It has been this way for amost 2 weeks and it doesn't seem to anywhere near finished with me yet. I have had this before(several times) and they usually last about 1or 2 weeks but this one seems to be getting worse.

I am 43 and this has only been a problem for me for about 5 yrs....right before I got really sick and was dx'ed. I wondered if it could go along the same lines as a rash or the nose and mouth sores. Was hoping someone else had experienced this so I wouldn't have to show the doc.

I have an appt. next week with my rheumy so I guess it's time to show my doc....I just get so embarrassed just talking about it and I know that I will have to show him too.

Thanks again for the responce,
Mary

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a nasty pain in my coxic bone for a long time, even before I was diagnosed...I got a gel from the doc to apply twice a day, I'll post the name when I can remember

1 - 6 of 6 Posts