The Lupus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am normal weight. Around a sz 6 to 8. But when I was on antidepressants I went up to a sz. 10 -12. I don't care what anyone says ..antidepressants make you gain weight. So if any of you are on antidepressants that definately could be a contributing factor. Also the fact that none of us can exercise hard enough to lose weight. It's depressing. Hang in there everyone. And just do the best you can. That's my mantra....Do the best I can ,and let the rest go.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was wearing a size 12 but after the doctors continually started each visit out by telling me I was overweight I starved and exercised my way down to a 2. They at least have shut up about my weight finally. I think if you are happy you should be whatever weight you want.
Laura

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Yikes do you really mean size 2 uk!!

:eek::eek:
Flibble63;519244 said:
I starved and exercised my way down to a 2. Laura
or is this a size 2 Amercian style!

Lesley

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Thanks Laura,

converted into uk its a dress size 4!

Lesley

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I have found that docs can be funny about weight. I had gone up to 68 kilos (used to be 60) BEFORE being put on any meds just due to disease activity (I'm one of the odd ones that gains when flaring).

Since starting plaquenil, prednisolone, imuran, carbamazepine... I have ONLY gained a kilo (it went up to two kilos for a short time) and yet everytime I see a doctor they'll make some comment to do with the weight I have gained. I kind of doubt they can "see" that kilo to be honest!

I think that they have just decided that because you are on meds then you must have gained weight.

All in all the most important is to feel good in yourself :) as many others have said.

Katharine

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am underweight. I am on a 5000cal/day diet but cannot seem to put any weight back on. I am on pred. and plaq. and some srong pain med. for headaches. I really feel that if I could just put on 10-15lbs. I would feel much stronger. I never thought I would ever hate to see my flat abs! I wish you all the best. Good luck and stay Positive!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow! I'm not alone! I eat and eat and can't put weight on either. Do you get 'soaking sweats' at night? Are your lymph nodes swollen? I have lost 20lbs but have an unstoppable appetite. I do work out when the fatigue is down. I am getting weary of the looks I get from people who comment on my gaunt or skinny appearance. Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Overweight.. dont know what the BMI is, but am now going to check. 5'8 and 199.. but am currently flaring and have put on 15 pounds over the last 6 weeks. Ugh. Not going to worry about it.. would like to look better in a bathing suit, but my health and wellbeing means more!

·
Mommyof1lilboy
2 Posts
I am underweight too!!! :(

I thought I was the only one underweight due to lupus! I know most people gain weight due to meds etc but I've been on prednisone and up and down doses for a year and I'm constantly losing weight. I've tried everything from increasing processed foods to eating more in a day to increasing salt and even more calories with boost shakes with the extra calories everyday. NOTHING works. In fact I just lost 2 more lbs when I went to the dr last week for a checkup. I hate that i'm so thin...I have NOTHING left up top either ladies! UGH.

There's nothing I can do about it. I've always had high metabolism but in highschool I looked "good." I was healthy and my face looked healthy. Now I wear size 0-1 jeans and STILL have to wear a belt. It's awful. I might as well be in a childs training bra for that matter. I've also been tested for thyroid issues etc and all are negative.

I have issues with joints, skin, nerve pain, and lungs with my lupus...so far. We are keeping a close eye on my kidneys because not this last time but the time before I got labs done I had 2+ protein in my urine along with many bacteria and hyaline casts etc and no infection was present with the retest nor did any extensive testing show any protein abnormality.

I feel for you though dear it's rough looking like you starve yourself when you don't! I think my body mass index is like 17. I am only 5'3. Do you have issues with your menstrual cycles due to this too? I haven't before besides it being off by some days but this month I spotted once and that was it.

I've also been on the Mirena IUD for a year so idk if it's that and currently being sick with possibly sinus infection and possible pleurisy again but yeah. If you find anything that works please let me know!! Hope you are feeling okay otherwise! *hugs* -Brittanee

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well i'm 5ft 8" tall and weigh in at 63kg and i'm a size 8-10 and i've got the doctors monitoring me because i did drop to 58kg and with my anaemia i can't afford to go any lower..but my thyroid makes me lose weight when it goes hypo and the plaquenil i've noticed ages ago makes it come off more.

It does'nt matter how much i eat and what junk food i put in my mouth nothing makes me gain weight and being winter you don't half feel it.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
This is a very old thread so I'm going to close it. Feel free to start a new thread on this topic :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.