TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know any good otc painkillers because ibruprofen & paracetamol just arent working. I am having real problems with my hands/wrists/arms, having trouble typing this. Mypain started only a few months ago in my hands but has got really bad really quick. :( As well as throbbing aching pain i have also started geting shooting pains down my arms straight to my fingers, mainly evening time. It seems to help a little resting them on a pillow but need pain relief. Cuprofen is usually a painkiller i take if extreme but even that isnt working. I have got ist rheumy apt week on tue but any advice in the mean time would be greatly appreciated.:sad:

Hope everyone is well.

Lou

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Lou,

I'm afraid I might not be much use to you as I would say that you really need to get in touch with your GP (or rheumy - if that wasn't in two weeks). Generally OTC painkillers don't cut it much for me and other than for headaches don't actually work at all.

The thing is, it is better to use painkillers the doc has prescribed than to use too many OTC ones (which also have side-effects) especially if they are not working.

On the shooting pains - I used to have a lot of shooting nerve pain. The rheumy suggested trying a Vit B mix (B 6,9,12) and it has helped greatly. Of course, it takes a while to work.

Katharine

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey Lou :hugbetter:

I'm sorry to hear you're in so much pain at the moment.... :(

I agree 100% with Katharine, sounds like you should try getting in touch with your GP as soon as possible so that this pain can be brought under control until you see the rheumy; then you discuss things more in depth with him.

I'm sorry I don't have any more suggestions for you...

Hope you feel better very soon :)

Sending loads of healing hugs your way :grouphug2:

:flowery:

Zoi

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I will also tell you you need to talk to your rheumy. He/she needs to know that you are not having relief with the meds you have been using.
When the meds you listed don't work, then it is time for the bigger guns to be brought out.
Sally

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Lou,

Sorry your having a tough go of it right now. Wondering if you called your doctor and how your feeling today? I am with the others that otc meds just dont cut it for the type of pain we can experience daily.

My doctor prescribed Tramadol daily and along with daily prednisone it has helped some. I wish you luck moving ahead and hope your doing a little better today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts