TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As many of you know I started taking Cellcept almost 2 weeks ago. I've had some nausea which I expected but other than that it's been bearable.

Around 4-5 days ago I started to get a dull ache in the left side of my back about kidney height (upper left quadrant?). It would come and go with some slight discomfort just under my rib cage at the front.

Today the pain increased and it felt like something was pushing against my ribs. I figured it could either be my kidney or spleen so called my doctor for advice. They asked me to come in right away.

Unfortunately it wasn't usual GP but the one that everyone avoids in the practice! He felt my abdomen which was very tender just under the ribs as was a similar area on my back. He then looked up his book for Cellcept side effects and said 'what should we do?' :eek:

He does think my spleen could be slightly enlarged but didn't think I should stop the Cellcept. I am due to get my bloods done on Monday so he told me to wait till then, take painkillers and go to hospital if my symptoms worsen!

I should add that I have no fever or any other symptoms and I've been drinking plenty fluids. It doesn't hurt when I breath in or out either. I've done 3 urine tests at home and there is no sign of blood, protein or infection.

I've taken the painkillers and have a hot water bottle on my back but nothing is helping. Any advice would be greatfully received.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I guess go to the ER...If nothing else they can administer a stronger Pain Reliever if it is nothing scary.

Let us know how you get on - Stephanie

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey Pam,

Sorry to hear you're in pain right now... :worried:

Pain in that area is something not to be overlooked, actually no abdominal pain is to be overlooked. I've had pain in the upper left quadrant 2-3 times and it always turns out to be something; 1-2 times it was a kidney stone that had caused a renal colic and the other it was pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) from lupus....

An enlarged spleen is nothing to toy with either when you have lupus and are on immunossupressants...I've had an enlarged spleen and that can definitely cause upper left abdominal pain and it can be caused by a million different things most of which aren't dangerous or urgent, but since the doc you saw isn't your normal gp that you trust it might be better to be safe than sorry in this case...

I think you should consider giving NHS 24 a call Pam or going to your local A&E...Even if it's nothing, and it could very well be nothing "major" I'm not saying it is, it's still something that should be investigated fast as if nothing else it is a strong pain in your abdomen that's not responding to pain killers... A&E can give you a second opinion as well as a something stronger for the pain and maybe do a test or two if needed!

Hope you feel better soon :grouphug2:

Do let us know how you get on...!

:flowery:

Zoi

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Pam,

I have no experience of such things but I would tend to agree with Zoi. These things should not be ignored!

I don't like A&E any more than anyone but I'd rather go in for nothing than go in too late.

hugs
:hug:
Katharine

·
=)
31 Posts
loopyloo...:)

im on cellcept too...been on it for 6 months now and i had that exact pain in my left side..it was on my ribs too but on my back..not the front if u get me? lol and as i'd just had a kidney biopsy they were concerned it was a bloodclot :eek: ...but i had the ultrasound and it was fine but i looked it up and pain in the side is a side effect from cell cept...not common but it can happen!! mine stayed for about 3 months..its gone now, i think it just takes time to get used to the new medicine.
try not to worry too much but if it gets worse go back. although, i found it was worse somedays more than others! hope this helps!! :wink2:
claire x

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm not too familiar with Cellcept...but I agree with Zoi on this one..dont wait for another opinion, especially if there is even a possibility that your spleen or other organ may be inflamed..

I would go to A&E as well...whats the worst that can happen? They'll send you home with a snicker and some pain meds if they dont find anything...at least you will have peace of mind.

Hope you feel better and let us know how things go!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi pam

so sorry to hear you are pain...what a worry for you :worried:

I am sorry I have no advice to offer except to echo what everyone else has said & please got to a&e if you don't feel any better...don't take any chances with your health.
but fingers crossed pam that it is nothing serious & maybe as claire said possibly a side effect from the cellcept?

please keep us updated pam...big hugs to you :there:
take good care...karen x

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi Pam,

I'm really sorry to hear that your not feeling better just worse. It does seem that an A&E visit would be be a good idea to have a better check-up! Perhaps if you don't do it this weekend then go on Monday morning!

Remember you GP's advice 'go to the hospital if symptoms worsen'!

Love and hugs!

Lesley

1 - 8 of 8 Posts