TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've recently been diagnosed with Lupus SLE and suffer badly from inflamed muscles and joints. In particular I have a lot of pain in my butt and tailbone :rotfl::sad: It is really sore and spreads all the way around in to my hip and quads (and knees...and ankles...) but I notice it most in my butt and lower back. Does anyone else suffer with this? Is it Lupus? Do you have any advice to help deal with it?

Thank you!

Meriel

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I also get pain right on my tailbone and it radiates out in a circular pattern around that but does not go down a leg or anything like that. I did have an old tailbone injury from many years ago, so it could be due to that in my case. There is usually no spinal involvement in lupus so I kinda doubt mine is due to the lupus, but there are ligaments and other disorders of the lower back that could be aggravated from lupus; it's just not very common.

There is a real possibility this could be unrelated to the lupus is mostly what I'm trying to say! ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Meriel

Sorry to hear about your coccyx pain. I have no idea whether it can be related to lupus or RA but I suffered badly for several years with intense coccyx pain for which there was no obvious cause. In the end I had to have a general anaesthetic and had my coccyx manipulated back into position and a long lasting steroid injection put into the area. This has luckily helped me as apparently I have a very flexible coccyx - now it only hurts if I have to sit for an extended period of time.

I would suggest discussing the problem with a doctor as there are things that can be done for it. I the meantime, I would recommend getting a coccyx cushion (or making one!) which has a section cut out the back so that pressure is taken away from the base of the spine. There's an excellent website (set up by a sufferer!) which can tell you a great deal more about this specific condition and what you can do and get to help. http://www.coccyx.org/

Hope this helps you out a bit!

Lily

1 - 3 of 3 Posts