TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you take two fingers and feel either side of your adams apple ( Eves even!).
Take them up eitherside until you reach as far as you can go under your chin.

Not forwards towards chin but up as far as you can go at the top of your neck.

Push (for me)left hand side and feel up towards throat.

This is where I have had pain. Its an aching throbing sort of feeling.
I have had it for a few years and it is an indicator for me on how my lupus is playing.

Without touching my neck and prodding upwards it actually feels as if it is coming from the left side back of my throat.

It is an unpleasant feeling.

Is this a gladular thing? Common or uncommon feature in lupus?.

I have always wondered

Nicky:)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Nicky,

I used to get a lump (aching and sore) just above my adams (or eves :lol: ) apple on the l/h side that flared up each time I did. My doc said it was a lymph node there but kept an eye on it.

Other times higher up and under chin (but deep inside) was more those submandibular salivary glands aching , whether that is from my Sjogrens or not I don't know. It all just seems to meld into one big mess for me at times :rolleyes:

Best to get any swelling looked at though, we can never take it for granted. My nephew was recently diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and having Sjogren's anyway I am fairly pedantic at getting my nodes checked each time I see my Lupus doc - he usually did it but is more thorough about it now.

love
Lily

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lily , thats really good advice.

Nicky

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Nicky

That just about exactly describes the pain I have in my throat and have had consistently now since around Christmas time. While Im sorry you have it too, its great to know someone else experiences it and you described it very well.

I went to my GP on two occasions about it. He just checked my throat (I knew it wasnt a sore throat but what the hey..). At my last Rheumy appointment I decided to ask her about it. I couldnt describe the pain or place very well (wish I had your description before then!)

Anyway to cut a long story short she is sending me for an ultrasound of my thyroid (I am hypothyroid). She said it could be a slightly enlarged goiter which can swell inwards instead of outwards on rare occasions.

Long before I was diagnosed with Lupus I used to get terrible pains across my throat - similar to this one but much more intense. At the time I had obviously swollen glands but no one picked up on it. My glands dont feel swollen this time but the left side is tender to the touch.

I will let you know the outcome of the scan (still waiting on the appointment) but it might be a good idea to get this checked out yourself.

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Nicky,
My first thought was a thyroid goiter too. I am also hypothyroid and have that pain, but I couldn't describe it either and have been quite bogged down with other stuff. Your description is perfect. I would have it checked asap, just to be safe. :) Keep us posted.

Good Luck,
Becca

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Joandublin & Acard

More useful information from you both.

I have had previous negative tests re thyroidism.

Am off for my hospital Rhumie Appointment this afternoon.

Should I not get his interest or attention on this subject I shall go see my more than pleasant GP about my throat.

Thanks to all again, most helpful:)

Nicky

P.S. It is really good to have a hit the nail on the head experience, as so many symptoms are not quite the same.
Wish you all better health.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joan and all

No luck with my consultant last Thursday re the neck thing.

My fatal mistake was mentioning how I noticed the under the neck location after having a tooth extracted and doing a bit of prodding and poking and the realisation that the pain although in the roof of mouth could actually be located using the two fingered approach mentioned before:).

He told me that just like backache could be referred foot problem pain and likewise my neck could be the toothache etc etc.

It could be some glands etc etc..

That was it...

No check, not a lot of interest, and not any answers.

I will try the GP..

Nicky

1 - 7 of 7 Posts