The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:worried:I've had headaches almost everyday and sometimes it last all day long. I've had a mri and everything came back okay. Along with that the right side of my neck is always hurting as if something is pulling. Im at my wits end with the headaches and pain :worried:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Have your doctors tried any treatments or recommended anything to you?
I know many people with fibromyalgia will have neck pain, have they tested for this possibility? Sometimes muscles relaxers are prescribed on a short term basis, and massage therapy can also be a very good thing for sore/tense neck muscles.

I have on a few occasions woken up with a stiff/sore neck muscle which is much like you describe and I will use Icy Hot - that and rest will help the neck get better. For me it usually only lasts a few days though.

On the headache front, that has been much harder to get an improvement for me. I've tried a few different things a neurologist suggested and nothing really helped so I just live with it. Even the narcotic pain meds have done little to help with the headache. Some people with the clotting antibodies will have their headache improve with therapy for that, even just low dose aspirin.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I agree with Maia that you could possibly massage could be a good idea. If it works then great and if not then at least you had some quiet time. The only thing I would worry about is that if you have by chance a blood clot or any plaque floating around, that could be, well, dangerous.

You could go to a chiropractor, maybe your back is out somewhere and that is causing your discomfort. I have had some pretty severe neck pain before and I have went and got an adjustment and have felt tremendous relief. Of course, one time I did that, the relief was short lived and the neck pain came back so I ended up in ER and was found to have a neck and left arm full of blood clots which brings me back to check with your doc before you have a massage to make sure that it is safe for you to have and that you are not at risk of throwing clots.

You could try heating pads, new pillows either thicker, thinner, round, flat. Have you had a recent eye exam or start any new meds? Are you using any new products, perfumes, make-up, perfumed laundry soap? Have you changed soda aka pop aka cola, coffee, tea. In other words have you gotten rid of caffeine from your diet? If none of these easy things do not work or do not pertain, then you need to talk to your doc and and see what he thinks. Maybe a Neuro consult.

The best thing to remember is that pain is not normal to the human body and it must be looked into. Sometimes it is easy to solve other times not so much. Whatever, please keep us up-to-date and most importantly.......good luck.

Nancy

·
Registered
198 Posts
I get headaches when Im starting a flareup. Unbearable headache in the back and top of my head into my neck. The only thing that helps mine is prednisone. Within a few days after prednisone, my headache disappears. My Rheumy doctor told me it is a Lupus Migraine.

I hope you find relief soon!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have tried over-the-counter pain meds before but it only helps a little, maybe I should try massage therapy next. I've had the eye exam, everthing was okay. I will see my lupy dr. tomorrow. He might start me on a low dose of prednisone it depends on what my bloodwork shows. Thanx everyone for replying and the good advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts