The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone experiences pain differently and it varies in lupus cases, but this week brought a new one to me and I wondered if others had similar experiences:

Walking into my place this week I managed to kick the coffee table and break my small toe. At first I thought it was just bruised, but when it started swelling (even while on steroids) and turning black I figured I needed to get it checked and surprise surprise, it was broken. When the doctor was explaining what (little) to do, he asked me about pain medication. I responded "Why? It doesn't hurt any more than my other joints do, so I'll just deal with it like the rest, right?"

It wasn't until tonight that I thought about how crazy that sounded... my "routine" joint pain is equal to the broken toe? Granted, not every joint is at that level all the time, but I often (like tonight) have other joint pain that is worse.

I know the risk of pain medication, but I've spent the last couple of years with people telling me not to treat the Lupus pain "if you can help it". As if it is just a matter of willpower. As if the problem is in my mind and with my willpower if I feel like I need help with pain. You know, maybe my willpower isn't all that bad if a broken bone (albeit a very small one) is less bothersome than my "normal" joint pain!

Maybe I won't be so reluctant to insist on better pain management in the future, but tonight I'm just questioning what pain levels really are and how they get interpreted (both by me and my docs). Anyone else's thought would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
356 Posts
hi

May i ask what meds u are on and what dosage?

As for not treating it, that is wrong in my opinion.
The steroid can make tissues weak caussing easy bruising, it can also cause bone pain. The steroids also have a short half life. I find that as useful as they are, they cause too many problems.

Whilst uncontrolled, i had constant pain. Constant ibuprofen pills every few hours!
Now, hardley ever take pain killers. It is now controlled using two antimalarials plaquenil and mepacrine.

The pain is also a sign of damage, left uncontrolled it will get worse.
Kind regards
Mark

·
Administrator
10,199 Posts
Did the doctor give you a boot or have you use crutches? I didn't stay off of my broken toe enough this past summer and after 6 weeks the x-rays showed no healing had taken place. The more you can stay off of the foot the better.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi
You should have had a boot so it helps you to walk plus supports your toe.
Physic should also be done to make sure you can bend your toe properly and healed right.
Hope you feel ok
Take care
Wolf1

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI Mark,

I've been taking plaquenil (600), medrol (16), and up until this week had been taking cellcept (2500) for lupus, and taking tramAdol (300) and advice (800) for pain.

On the foot, I agree and have a boot in place and tape it for the next two weeks, but not much to do otherwise. What freaked me out was that the broken toe didn't hurt nearly as much as the other joints do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts