TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have usually taken tylenol etc. for pain in joints. Lately, that doesnt come close to helping with the pain I'm experiencing. What do others take? My pain is in both knees. I'm having a hard time walking and really need to :lol: Any suggestions?

Dalyce

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Dalyce,

Are you on an anti-imflamatory? Sometimes, they can reduce our need for pain medication.

I personally, take percocet. It is a mix of hyrocodone and tylenol. It seems to be a good balance for me. I have the option of taking Oxycodone, but..only take it when I have to.

Our bodies are all so different and intricate. What works for one, may not work for another..Maybe, you could go to a pain clinic, and they can work with you, to find a pain medicaiton that is most effective for you.

Best Wishes..I hope your knees let up on you soon.

Sandy

·
Registered
19 Posts
I suffer really badly with my hips etc and take paracetamol, codeine (very rarely) and I also take diclofenac with misoprostol which helps

·
The vortex of insanity!
154 Posts
I used to be on the highest doses of ibuprofin the most times I was allowed to a day, then that stopped working just because of tolerance issues. I have a prescription for tramadol, but my mom hid the pills, convinced that I can't be trusted to decide when the pain is bad enough to take them. But they worked - but they make you feel like wooooo, so I'd only take it when necessary.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi dalyce :)

Anti-inflammatories are great for the sort of pain you describe if you can take them. You are better off with one of the prescription strength ones though, they tend to make them stronger and longer lasting and coated so they won't upset your stomach as much. I take Naprosyn with the above qualities. For some reason I can't take the generic Naproxen) though (different colours and fillers I guess) and it gives me bad stomach burning.

love
Lily

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Hi Dalyce,

I would agree that the next step would be prescription strength anti-inflammatories. Mobic is the one I have been taking for several years now. I would hope one of your doctors would willingly write a prescription for you. If a NSAID alone doesn't do the trick then mild narcotics like tramadol or darvocet are often the next medication used. Even though I am on strong narcotics I still take mobic and the couple of times that I have had to stop it for a week or two ( surgery and procedures) I really notice the difference.

You do need to be careful how much Tylenol/Acetaminophen that you take. Many of the drug overdoses related to Codeine and Hydrocodone are partly caused by the tylenol used in those medications. The standard maximum allowed per day without causing liver damage is 4000mg. My Rheumy doesn't like to go over 3000mg ( or close to that number) with his patients.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Dalyce,

Long ago, or so it seems, I took with much success Neurontin, Darvocet during the day, Lortab at night as well as Cerebrex with an occasional shot. That all changed when I developed blood clots. I lost the Cerebrex and the Darvocet because of being on Coumadin. Now after about a year or so of trial and error for the right doses, I take Lyrica, Keppra, Lortab and when the pain is severe Methadone. For the most part I have been able to control the pain and also use heating pads and an electric blanket at night.

Be persistent and don't let anyone tell you to "suck it up" because there is always something out there to find you pain relief. Sometimes it is just taking the right cocktail of meds to get the relief that you need.

Nancy

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I take Lodine (arthritis medication) for the arthritis pain, this is daily and in a set quantity. Then there's the pred which also helps with pain - I didn't realize that until my joint pain increased and upping the pred stoped the pain. The pred dosage varies using based on what my doctor says. I also take Hydrocodine (Vicodin) for 'other' pain as I also have bad discs in my back and floating pain. The Vicodin varies from 1 1/2 a day to 3 a day depending on the pain. And when a headache pops up (not often) I take Tylenol.

All of this comes from my wonderful Rheumy who believes in quality of life, bless her heart.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Jirel,

Sounds like you have a wonderful Rheumy. Mine is just as wonderful as is my Primary. Unfortunately not everyone is so wonderful. I did forget to mention that I also take Cymbalta for not only the depression, which does wonders, but does also have some pain control properties. I have taken Vicodin so that is why the step up to the Lortab. I take 10/500 one and half to two tabs every 4-6 hours. I have had to push it to even every 3 hours and have found that if I have to do that more than once, I switch to the Methadone. I don't like taking the Methadone, but sometimes I have no other choice. Before anyone does this though, they really need to make sure that their docs know so that they can monitor your liver enzymes. Since Vicodin and Lortab have Acetaminophen in them and it can be very hard on your liver. Of course that is Murphy's Law, while one thing may help you, something else with the same medication can harm you. Nothing seems to be easy.

Nancy

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I will throw in my 2 cents. I take Celebrex which is a anti-inflammatory.
I take Darvocet-N-100 for mild to moderate pain. Unfortunately-Vicodin or Lortab for moderate to severe pain.

I think starting with a anti-inflammatory is the best thing to do. I also am not a fan of suffering, so if you need more-call your dr.;)

I hope it all works out well for you.

Good Luck,
Becca

1 - 12 of 12 Posts