TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what is a good pain medication for lupus. My Rheumy will not write any pain meds at all he has put me on pain patches but they do not help at all. I think I am going to throw a fit and demand that he does something or send me to somewhere that will. Any advice on how to handle a dr that will not write a script for pain meds. I was taking percocet and they seemed to help. My GP would write them for me but now he says I need to get them from my rheumy and my rheumy says I need to get from my GP. :mad::mad:

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi mississppi.How long have you had lupus for we are all on diffrent meds i get mine from my GP.Is there only one doctor in your practice if there is some other doctors then may be you should try someone else.I don't know what else to suggest to you Elisabeth

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi there

If your GP is willing to write you a prescription for pain meds but only refuses to do so on the grounds that he believes the Rheumy should do this then I would ask the Rheumy to write a letter for you stating that he is advising that the GP handle the pain meds. If you dont make one of them declare their hand you will remain caught in a limbo between them.

I hope you can get it sorted out as soon as possible :hugbetter:

Others might come along with suggestions for good pain meds but bear in mind that often what works for one person doesnt often have the same effect on another. You might need to try different ones to find what suits you best.

Take care for now
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm stuck in the same circle. And to cap it off, I asked for paracetomol and codine at a chemist today and they treat me like a drug addict :( It's the only thing that even vaguely works for me that's available without prescription.

I'm new to this, but I get the impression that once you are in the rheumatologist's care then GPs look to them to recommend treatment plans and seem reluctant to step in. The last couple of times I've been to my GP they have said that they won't treat my symptoms without consultation with the rheumy. I think Joandublin is right, you probably need to let your rheumy know. Quite how you contact your rheumatologist between appointments 6 months apart is something I don't know yet.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Ali

I was like you at one stage - not sure how to contact my Rheumatologist in between appointments. Then one day I was in a bad way and I picked up the phone and rang the hospital and asked to speak to one of his team. They werent available just then but did ring me back and I found them quite helpful.

I have had cause to ring them about three or four times over the past few years and each time they have responded to me quite well. I was surprised at first!

Sometimes its the simplest answer thats the best and if you dont try something you will never know ;)

Best of luck!
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was diagnosed in December 08. I currently take Imuran, Diflusinal, Prednisone, Vit D, Vit B Complex, and Protonix. My rheumy makes me come see him every month for him to write my meds. My rheumy is the only dr in his practice and their are only 4 in my area that treat lupus out of the 4 only 2 take my insurance and I have talked to other people and they say the other one is worse than mine. I just don't know how to deal witht he pain toward the end of everyday. I can barely walk my back and joints hurt so bad. I sit behind a desk all day typing on the computer and it gets to me by the end of the work day. My work has been great since I was diagnosed they work with me anyway I need them to including ordering me a special chair that is suppose to be easier on your back when sitting for long periods of time.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
((((((((mississippi girl))))))) That's no way to be trying to lead some quality of life in all that pain :(

I think Joan's suggestion is a good one - if your Rheumy is not willing to prescribe pain meds then he needs to put it in writing that your GP has that responsibility. Personally I think that if he sees you every month for prescription refills then it IS his responsibility and I can see why your GP is reluctant to step in. Presumably the Rheumy knows your situation much better and is keeping a close eye on you.

You don't mention being on Plaquenil as well as the Imuran? Is there a reason for that? I'm on both and I find the Plaquenil helps a lot with the joint and muscle pain whereas the Imuran is better for my organ involvement and does little for my joints. Everyone is different but that's been my experience.

Many people take both to get better pain coverage. I'm also on a NSAID as you are but have had to change as the one I'd been on for years was giving me some side effects and wasn't working as effectively as it had. The switch was a good move.

love
Lily

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Mississippi Girl,
My Rheumy will not write any pain meds at all he has put me on pain patches but they do not help at all
You need to talk to your rheumy and tell him the pain patches are not working for you. It looks like he is trying to help. Not all pain meds work the same for everyone.

I haven't had the pain patches, hopefully someone will come along who has used them.
I choose my GP to write my pain meds.(he is closer to where I live) I told my rheumy that my GP will writing out the scripts for pain meds. You just need to decide who will do it and have the discussion with both of your doctors.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have you tried making an appt to a pain mgmt Dr? My Dr. won't write pain meds either, she doesn't believe in them I guess. haha. Anyways, I go everymonth to both my rheumie and my pain mgmt Dr. I get percocet and I only have to take one maybe once or twice a week now since my Imuran and plaq has kicked in good.

·
Registered
467 Posts
:wavesmile:hi mississippi

what patch are you on?? have you asked him for a stronger dosed patch. i use fentanyl patches 50mcg every other day. i also take dilaudid. my regular rheumy writes mine but he is out of the country so the one who is covering for him doesn't believe in opiates (which ticks me off, i don't care what she believe in) so now i have to see a pain management doctor, who i call dr feel good. my gp will write them occassionally if i can't to dr feel good but he goes pale when he does it.

the DEA has made doctors extreamly paranoid to write these types of prescription and has put heavy regulation on the doctor, meds must be written and a copy of the script must be on file. also you may have to sign a contract with the doctor that you will only get your meds from them. the pharmacy has issues as well, need ID to get the meds and they are usually stored in a safe.

if neither will write ask for a pain management doctor.
being in pain sucks right out loud.

hope you can get some relief soon
hugs and kisses

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi,

I go to a pain clinic to get my pain meds. This was my Rhuemy's suggestion.

Lily, is right. I also, have better pain management on, Prednisone, Cellcept, and Plaquenil..for general lupus pain, and the best disease management.

I use narcotic pain reliever's only when I need them..and for help with my
c.n.s. related migraines. I do use Imitrex injections, and Zomig tablets..but,
even so..I have quite a lot of pain.

My insides hurt..I suppose it is the connective tissue surrounding my organs.

Everyone is different, and your pain may be different.

Sometimes, it takes a combination of pain relievers to get relief.

Don't give up. You deserve to live each day, as pain free as possible.
I wish you the very best.

Love,
Sandy :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I go back on the 28th of May and will talk to him about pain management. Everytime I bring it up he just says he don't write those. I believe I am going to have to get mean and push the issue.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
I can get them from either one. Have you called and talk to each of them about them passing you back and forth? You need to and put them on notice that they will have to work it out and very soon as what you have now is not working at all.

I take something called Ultram that works for the most part for me. I can take it and work and still be able to funtion and even drive with no worries. I like it for that reason and less risk of dependance on the drug. You might need to be forcefull to get what you need from them. Don't give up and don't give in with either of them. It is your pain that you have to live with everyday. At best doctors jobs are to make you as comfortable as possible so they need to be doing their job.

I hope that you get what you need soon and that the doctors start working with you instead of against you. Feel better soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts