The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Sorry I haven't been around lately...been busy with the little ones. :hehe: The last few weeks have been pretty stressful, and as expected the fatigue, pain, etc. increased. I called my doctor to see if there was anything I could take stronger than advil for the pain, so I could at least get a good night's sleep, and they gave me Tramadol...I think that's how you spell it. It's a non-narcotic mild pain reliever so I should be able to take it at work if needed. Have any of you tried this stuff yet? I took two pills (as directed) and felt like I spent the whole week partying. Not only was the pain in my arms, shoulders, neck, and legs still there, now I felt hungover. Pills of any kind generally don't bother me this severly. Is this a new symptom? An intollerance to medication? Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

I think with pain meds it really is a case of trial and error. Tramadol does the same thing to me, doesn't touch the pain but makes me feel very fuzzy and totally out of it. Paracetamol + codeine is the same, normal paracetamol does absolutely nothing for me, paracetamol + caffeine sometimes works dfor headaches.

The only thing that actually works for me for generalised pain is keeping inflammation down as my pain comes from inflammation. I do (and am able to) take NSAIDS in addition to my other meds when needed. I can't take many NSAIDS but have found that I'm fine on lyophylised piroxicam (it melts under the tongue) and also on diclofenac.

Katharine

·
4,436 Posts
Tramadol did that to me too when I had it post surgery, like Katharine I also struggle to cope with codeine based analgesia too unless its bedtime and I can sleep through the nausea and light headedness!! Unlike her though I can't take diclofenac, either orally or rectally..tried everyway with the bad endo pain I used to get!!:(.. I also found Celebrex unhelpful, so I rarely take pain meds... just go and rest more and take the odd ibuprofen and paracetamol..sometimes together..we are all individual and respond to different things, so you may need to go back to your GP and ask to try something else...hope you find something gives you relief soon.:)
Claire XX

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Claire,
You mentioned endo pain. Was that lupus related? I had surgery about 4 years ago for what was thought to be endo, but when they got in there they found nothing! Changed my PC pill and seemed to be fine. Symptoms are back around the same time as flares. OB doesn't think the two are related, but who knows.

·
4,436 Posts
Hiya... no, had endo before I lupus... or rather MCTD. I have been very well on the endo front since major surgery in 07.. had bowel resection, ureters scraped, hysterectomy and one ovary removed and an endometriotic tumour in abdomen.. fibroid etc etc.. in fact I was a warzone!! I am part of an ongoing survey ref endo as my surgery was quite complex and apparently 'challenging'.. don't like doing things by halves!!:lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My gosh! You poor woman! I'm glad they were able to help you. The bright side, if there is one, is that your proceedure may help someone else. I still have all of my organs, even if it feels like they are being torn out of me once a month. :lol: Take care of yourself, and thanks for sharing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts