TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some medications (OTC or Prescrib.) that are good for the joint pain. My Dr. keeps saying Aleeve or Ibuprofen but that doesn't help. I was taking Lortab but stopped because I felt that I was becoming addicted to them. Anything that I can get to help ease the joint pain? Thanks ladies

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm taking Diclofenac and I'm liking it. Has reduced my pain and inflammation a bit. Took a good few days to work for me though.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There are a LOT of NSAID medications to try, many are available prescription only. Celebrex, Mobic, Arthrotec have all had recommendations from users here and there are certainly more out there. Sometimes you have to kiss a lot of NSAID frogs before you find your prince ;) I think I tried about 6 before Vioxx which helped me a lot (but of course that's off the market now!).

Also, you really have to take an NSAID medication for about 2 weeks continually to truly know whether it will work for you as it can take that long to reach maximum effectiveness.

Another option would be a short course of prednisone to treat joint pain.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pain meds

Hi Everyone,

I have been battling with headaches lately. They are very painful and last a very long time, sometimes 18 - 20 hours. I asked my rheumy about painkillers and she has prescribed Tramadol SR (slow release) 150mg combined with cataflam which is disolving version of diclofenac. I will advise how well it works when I have to test it out. The one thing I do know is that you should protect your stomach lining if you take NSAIDs for a long time. I am already on Nexium 40mg/day.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've currently started MTX to try and help my joint pain but am also on Mobic, Darvocet and Lidoderm patches.. The Mobic had been working for almost a year but then my lupus decided to act up more. The lidoderm patches help but only when I can get them to stay on. The Darvocet helps to some degree but not completely.

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Iv had in the last 7week's tryed ibrufen that did not work.Now i have started on Diclofenac can't say i feel much diffrence on them eather as Maia said it takes time to find what work's for you.I was also on the Vioxx and that helped a lot till they took it of the market.Hope you get something soon not nice being in pain Elisabeth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts