The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tests showed that some time in my life I have had the parvo virus. Now in my mind that has something to do with my diagnosis of lupus. There is some research out there that backs that up. Anybody else on here had parvo virus show up on their tests? (also known as fifths disease)
Just curious....Kate

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hi there,

I too have had it... But again do not know any connection... but will be interested in finding out if there is...

Love Penny

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
It is one of the viral infections thought to be implicated in triggering lupus in susceptible people, the others being CMV and Epstein Barr.
Clare

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have not had that, although very interesting. I do have severe lupus nephritis though. I wonder if it is possible to have this without knowing. I got the rash over the whole body about 12 years ago, when I was about 22. It cleared up and i never went in, thought it was an allergy. hmmm.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Is this what they also call "slapped cheek" virus? If so, practically every child in my kids' school had it when they were 6 and 8 or so. Both of my boys had it. No real illness involved, just that red face, bit of a rash and a small fever. Or maybe I'm remembering something else.

No one has ever tested me for that particular disease. ..... who knows. I had just about every other childhood disease, including mononucleosis.

Sunny

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Yes it is also called slapped cheek(due to the fact that rash on cheeks looks similar to redness occuring with being slapped on cheeks) - I had this virus when I was 7!

I think 90% of the kids at my childrens school have had it - its a very comon virus and was also a common virus when I was younger too!

Must say though that my children have had many virures that look just like it - cant of had Parvo virus all those times!

A blood test is the best way to confirm having Parvo Virus due to all these other similar looking viruses!

Lesley

PS - One thing to also be aware of with Parvo Virus is that it a potential harmful virus that can cause misscarriage with those Mum that have not had the virus themselves. Avoid Parvo Virus until after 5 months (might even be longer)in pregnancy (longer than the normal advice of 3-4 months with other viruses).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts