The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone

Just wanted to know if any other pet owners have experienced the same things?

I have heard of dogs who can foretell an owners seizures etc. Well about 3 1/2 years ago my cat suddenly started lying on me at night always my lower back / abdominal area just before I prolapsed a disc in my lower back. She did it again about a year later when I had a relapse. I am not sure but I think she did it before my last flare!

She is not the most cuddly of cats so that's what got me thinking. She has started getting a little up close and personal again so it would be interesting to see this proves (or disproves) the theory!

Claire

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

I have a labradoodle, george. I get autoimmune vertigo and he has always been able to sense the onset before me. He stays closer, lays next to me when I am asleep (so I don't roll over and get sick). He even will lean against me when we are walking and I am starting to feel dizzy.

He has always been able to sense when I didn't feel well and would take shorter walks, walk a bit slower, and lay down with me to cuddle.

I had him trained and certified as a service dog, so now he goes everywhere with me!

I also had an experience with a dolphin, I had ovarian cance in 1994, in 2000 I learned how to scuba dive...we were out diving, and a wild dolphin came right up to me nudged my lower belly and swam around me in circles...then swam off. I got to touch it and everything (which was very cool). I later saw a show where they said that dolphins can sometimes sense illness or injury.

This is a very neat thread.

Stephanie

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow Stephanie

What an amazing story about the dolphins. So cool. I am Glad you have George. It is so cool that you have him around. I would love to have a dog and train it to be a PAT (pets as therapy) dog maybe something for the future.

Claire

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
That is interesting and I think you will hear similar stories. I am sure I read about dogs being trained to sniff out cancers. Some diseases certainly give off characteristic odours that even humans can smell so why not.

Wikipedia has an article about it with links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_cancer_detection

There also reports of dogs detecting melanoma

I am glad you have the comfort of your pets but Claire, I hope your cat has got it wrong this time

Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
My dog diagnosed my ear infections before any doctor could. She sat next to me and looked at me and sniffed my ear and just stared at me and wouldn't leave that side of my body (the right side where normally she would always be on the left side for walks and such). I went to the doctor the next day (not telling them about my dog's behavior) but said my ear hurts and there's a lot of pressure too... I'm convinced this is an ear infection...and he could see nothing wrong & sent me on my way.

The day after that I spiked a fever and had to go to the ER more convinced than ever this was my first ever ear infection...and they still couldn't see anything wrong & sent me away telling me I had the flu and to go home and rest. The third day was just awful but, being a Sunday, and having been summarily dismissed twice and not wanting to fork over the money for another wasted ER trip, I waited until that night to go back to ER because by then I couldn't function and I had pain in my skull behind my ear too which scared me.

Sure enough, Dr. took one peek and said that's infected and it's going to rupture before antibiotics will do anything. All that, and my dog (and I) had diagnosed it about 4 days earlier. If they had listened to me and the dog, I wouldn't have had a ruptured drum and an infection in part of my skull.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I have heard several similar stories like this and I know that dogs are also trained how to react for people who have seizures as they are known to feel them coming on.

As for me, Glen is still young and quite "zoomy" at times but he is very in tune with what I can and can't take or do. Despite his unending energy, he has never once woken me if I fall asleep in the sofa but as soon as I open my eyes (without even moving), he's there offering me a toy or gently asking if he can have a walk.

He is incredibly intelligent and works beautifully in obedience and agility (we're only beginners and I'll have to train him to work at a distance but the main thing is to have fun) and I'm sure would make an excellent assistance dog but thankfully I don't really need one.

Katharine

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Katharine:

I don't need a serice dog, I am just a little to attached to him and hate to leave him. Since he was highly trainable and could sense my "spells" they approved my application (he had to demonstrate for them, we taped an episode).

I got him certified for pretty selfish reasons, but hey don't we deserve it once in a while. I don't abuse the right, I don't take him to resturants or shops, just like to be able to if I need him. Plus I would love to take him on vacation with me...so now he can fly on the plane.

Stephanie

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
That's great :)

They don't have the same system here and you can't have a service dog unless he was trained as one from the start. Also, I have never had any spells other than the odd wobble or two (don't think that counts :lol:). Maybe there's a way to do it with a recognised trainer's help. I don't really know. We had a trainer at the dog club and I was going to ask him a bit about useful training etc. (mainly to keep the dog's brain active) but he's sulking for the moment (the trainer not the dog) about not being allowed to smoke any more in the club house! Result, I'm missing his excellet lessons (He used to train guide and assistance dogs).

Thankfully the Belgians and French are good about dogs in general and Glen has visited many a restaurant. He sleeps quietly. He has even visited the Mercier champagne cellars! We also find quite a few hotels that take dogs but less and less shops.

And I'm sure you don't abuse the right. I think we've enough not nice things in life, take advantage of the good bits as much as possible :)

Katharine

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Mine are pretty clueless - I think I don't give off 'sick person vibes' or something, as they are pretty good when other people are unwell pr otherwise needy.

With me they still want a walk, no matter what, but I still love them for it.

cheers

raglet

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hmmmm I only have a hamster and I think he has some learning difficulties! :hehe:
I will study where he scurries for a while and let you know whether slighty dim but very lovely hamsters are as good as dogs!

K

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Katharine:

Here in the US service dogs for the bling and deaf are trained from pups. Sensing dogs are selected for their perceptions and can be trained later. I did work with a certified service dog trainer to get him trained and through the testing (it was quite pricey) but worth it for me.

Stephanie

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
What a great thread and I will add my 2 cents here along with my opinion.

I have a Weimeriner, Buzz, who by the way is the love of my life.

In 2004 I had Gastric Bypass Surgery. When I came home he knew I was recovering from surgery as dogs are smarter then most people give them credit for.

He would lay next to me on the floor and did not leave my side.

Fast forward to 2006 when he started taking his nose and pressing it against my belly right above my belly button. He did this so often that it became annoying at least.

I would say to my husband, "Look at this he is sniffing me again...what is going on with him"?

Well about 2 months after he started this bizarre behavior I began having pain exactly in the area he was placing his nose. Long story short and fast forward to 2007, I landed in a 6 hour long surgery to have what was left of my stomach removed due to dead tissue from a form of vasculitis. The blood did not get to this area and tissue died along with severe ulcer disease.

I am a firm believer that animals have a sick sense about what is happening to us or what is going to happen to us. I think they are super smart.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow Karol

Thats one heck of a story. I hope that all is well with you now?

What a cool dog nice one Buzz. I am a vet nurse and always thought animals were more "in tune" and had more brains that we give them credit for.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Claire

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the link Katherine

I read it on line last night and passed it on to my hubby. What an amazing dog! I have heard of them taking other species such as kittens but never "human". What a clever and perceptive "mum"!

Claire

1 - 15 of 15 Posts