TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:verhere: :dog: Hi Everyone! I am about to become the proud owner of a male, Boston Terrier puppy who was born December 31, 2007. His name is Keegan. I am looking very much forward to having someone else in my apartment since I live alone. I do have a back-up person, my sister, who will take care of him if I have to go to the hospital or be gone for a period of time. Does anyone else have a pet and find that he/she is a stress reliever or just someone to understand you when no one else does? I have some people who say there is no way I should have a dog now because of my health, but I find myself at home, alone a whole lot of the time and lonely. They question whether or not I can take care of him, but I think that I will be motivated to walk more and play with him. I hope to teach him loads of tricks and commands. Thankfully I have more people who are supporting me than against.:wink2: Do you find that your pet is a positive or negative?
Karly

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Karly,

I think pets are wonderful comforters. If your sister is willing to help you with a puppy then, a pet would probably be good for your health. It's been proven that pets help us.

I have often longed for a little furry friend. I get lonely during the days and nights my husband travels..

I think about getting one, when I have a couple of good days in a row, but then reality sets in, and I don't think I could properly housebreak a pup. I hope that in the future I can feel a bit better and have another dog..

I think you know, if you can take care of one or not..If so, then enjoy one of life's great blessings!

Have so much fun with your new friend.

Sandy

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Tom,

You made me smile. I love pugs..They are such loving little dogs. My husband once had one..:)

Sandy

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
pets are WONDERFUL, I have two dogs and three cats.

Yes, your pup will definitely motivate you to walk (when the vet clears him/her to be taken out) as exercise is essential for the dogs well being. Even very small dogs need the mental stimulation of a daily walk, there is no such thing as self exercising dog!

I gets lots of exercise coz I just know that i have to walk the dogs, pretty much no matter what. Also, there are lots of options if you go away for any reason - sometimes I leave my dogs at home with my daughter, but if my daughter is coming with me then there are kennels that the dogs can go into.

Dogs are fabulous companions - I wish you a wonderful relationship with your dog

raglet

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
That is sooooooooo cute Tom :) :hehe: :p

Karly I hope you and Keegan have a great relationship :) and lots of fun together!

love
Lily

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree, dogs and cats are both wonderful companions. I have a dog and a kitten (well he's not really a kitten anymore, but try telling him that!) who never cease to amaze me (and amuse me!) with their crazy antics :hehe:

Sandy - there's always the option of getting an older dog, especially adopting one from a shelter. Then you have the added joy of knowing you've saved an animal's life (or saved it from years in a cage). Cats are also a good option too, since obviously they don't need to be walked/taken outside. No idea if getting a pet is an option for you at all right now, but just wanted to point out there are lots of options besides hyper puppies! :)

Have fun with Keegan, Karly! A great book for new dog owners is "Good Owners, Great Dogs" by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson - it has everything from how to set up your house for the new arrival to housebreaking to basic commands and more advanced training. It's pretty thick but super easy to read, and the methods are all totally humane and centered on the idea that your dog is a member of your family. Definitely the best dog book I've ever read.

Post some pictures for us when Keegan comes home! :dog:

sf

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

I agree with everyone! I have a dog and 2 cats, they are wonderful companions. I had a trainer help me with my dog and we got him certified as a Service Dog (not a therapy dog) a service dog can go anywhere you go and no-one can deny entry. They do have to be very well behaved to pass the certification but its a great thing to know I can take him with me if I go away.

I also have a wonderful Kennel, where he goes to play 2 times a week. They have a big indoor play area, with a pool, ball launcher, big throne chair for petting and lots of youg people who will play tug-of-war and tag with the dogs. I can watch him at play on a web-camera. I take him there so he can get running and playing which I can't always do. They reduced the charge for me due to my Lupus so I go two times for what others pay for 1 time. He loves it.

I also find that I am morivated to walk more because he loves it...we walk 2 miles in the AM and 2 miles in the PM we have 4 diferent routes with people and pets to visit with on each route...so I ask him who he wants to see and he takes me on that walk.

Small dogs can also be trained to use a pad or litterbox for those times when you are unable to walk them...with big dogs thats more of a problem.

May you have many joy filled days and night with your new "baby"

Stephanie

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have one very large housecat that I love dearly! I don't know what I would do without him, he is such a good friend and entertains me with all of his crazy antics:hehe: I think your puppy will be a wonderful addition to your life, and I wish you both much happiness together :)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think it's a great idea to get a dog for a companion. And very responsible of you to ensure you have someone to provide "back-up" care to your new addition if you need it. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats and the dogs in particular motivate me to go out and walk as they really want their walk every day!

I would recommend taking the pup to "puppy preschool"; a class where they teach you how to teach your pet basic and/or advanced tricks and help with potty training and also help to socialize your dog. It was lots of fun when I did it with my two, and gets you out and about and we even made some friends from the class too. Lupus can be such an isolating illness at times... every little bit helps.

Enjoy your little bundle of joy! :)

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
That is awesome ! I am so happy for you.

I can only say, if there is anyone I can always count on to snuggle and watch a movie, it is my little dog.

They are great companions, never talk back, never ask for money or things, love to cuddle, are satisfied with a treat, and don't have high expectations !

Enjoy and snuggle away !

·
Registered
553 Posts
Cool a new puppy, they are the biggest and the best time wasters in the world. I have 2 cats and my hubby has a horse (little and large) and we wouldn't be without them

They give love unconditionally (apart from the horse its cupboard love!), they never argue, they listen to all your worries and they never complain. All they want is to feel safe and loved and be part of the family unit. They are great at reducing stress levels.

I would love to have a dog but both hubby and I work too many hours.... Maybe someday.

I hope you have lots of fun with your new Boston Terrier.. Look forward to maybe seeing some pics???

Love Claire

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I think it is a good idea too. I have 1 dog and 2 cats. I want to add a puppy in November, but I am giving myself time. I have a doxie and they are sweet, gentle and small:) They do motivate you and love you unconditionally.

You are going to have so much fun.

Good Luck,
Becca

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all so much for your support

I spent a lot of time reading about the breed, about puppy stuff and picking out a breeder nearby who, will answer questions throughout the dog's lifetime, if something happens to me and I can no longer care for the dog she will take it back and insure he has a good home, he comes with a medical gaurantee, food, three toys, photos of mom and dad, heartworm medicine, flea and tick stuff. About a week and a half I will get to bring himi home...I changed my avatar so that you all could see a photo of him. Karly

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keegan comes to the message board!

My post contains two photos of Keegan. Well since I don't have any children I really gave him a long list of Irish Gaelic names and the last one is Hebrew, his initials spell out Karma, which I think brought him to me at the right time, with the right breeder and the right support. I had at least five people, one of whom doesn't even know me contribute as much as 50 dollars each for his purchase. His full name is Keegan Aiden Rory Mackenzie Asher! :lol: Don't laugh too hard, at least I didn't saddle a child with all those names. I am sure I will enjoy him a whole lot, recently I got several volunteers to walk him, which of course I want to do whenever I can, however I can. What do you think of him?
Karly

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Oh My goodness......that dog is so cute !

I wish I was near you as I would pick up that little baby and snuggle it !

They are so cute when they are little like that !

Enjoy, you deserve it !

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

Oh my gosh don't get me started on my pets :lol: .I have two cats that are orange tabby and the best cats with wonderful personalities to.I also have a cocketiel that was here before the cats and yes i said it two cats and a bird :rotfl: Nobody can believe it that the birds do not eat the bird :lol:.They do love to follow the bird around the house and makes this really wierd sound as they are getting excited about the bird:lol: .

I just love my pets as they keep me sane i think so anyway.They remind me of sylvester and tweety bird in the cartoon:lol: My sister says i sound like such a proud mother:lol: Since my kids have grown and gone i find they help me to keep a positive attitude.Not a dull moment thats for sure.The two cats i have are brothers from the same parents.I am sure glad to read there are other people crazy about there pets as i am.:)

Tammy

·
Registered
62 Posts
We sure do love our pets! Karley, your new puppy (Keegan) is adorable, I hope he provides you with years of love and happiness.

I have 2 cats, they are brothers of sorts (same mother, different litters). Although they are 4 and 5 years old they still act like kittens sometimes. Thier favorite thing is to steal my daughters hairbands, then they always deposit them in the water dish when they are done playing.

Here is Socks

This is Spooky

Good luck with your new baby!

Grüß,
Monique

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Karly :)

I think it's a wonderful idea, and as you say, it does motivate you to go out a bit more and do a minumum of walking with the dog. You'll also find plenty of people will talk to you who would otherwise have ignored you out on a walk :)
You've chosen a nice breed, they don't grow too big, don't need too much running around in large open fields :lol:

My puppy has just turned 1 year old. His photo is my avatar. His name is Glen and in the photo he's eight months old. He's a border collie - so yes, lots of nice open fields for him to run in!

I also joined the local dog club. it's a nice place, very relaxed and set up by people with disabilities so very understading if some days you can't run around the place with the dog. Now that I'm better and Glen is old enough, we are just starting agility training as well as his usual obedience classes. Glen absolutely loves it!

I wish you many years of happiness with your pup, i'm sure he'll grow to be a lovely boy.

Katharine

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I forgot to mention, that I do have a peach faced lovebird. She is pretty entertaining. She talks..Loves to say "hello", "pretty bird"...and she is really pretty!

She also copy's...my laugh! :) I guess, I don't cry all the time afterall.. huh?

I do get a big kick out of her, or him?: :lol:

Sandy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts