The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone here has had this before, the redness maybe a rash but it is just one spot, does not itch, would not even know it is there, just can see it. It has been about 1 year now. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
rash

I'm no medic but Iv'e seen something similar ... could it be a fungal infection? ring worm or something like that? ever so easy to treat, just a cream from the doc..hope that helps..good luck with it.:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
looks like it could be sub-acute LE, a non-scarring disc shaped lesion. That particular rash is more common in SCLE than SLE, but, I read that about 15 percent of people with SLE (like myself) develop it too. I had a lot of these when I was first diagnosed, if you try an anti-fungal cream, make sure it does not contain terbinafine (sp?) It is not good for Lupies, made me break out in a secondary lace-like rash, and, do not under any circumstances take the oral medication Griseofulvin-Griffulvin, this is a horrible drug for Lupies:eek: I hope you find out what it is soon :)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

It does look just like SCLE, I had that first, then SLE dx added on as symptoms became worse. I still get them but very rarely, worst was when they reduced my plaquenil.

They are non-scarring, but can leave darker pigmentation when they leave (looks like a liver spot where ever I have them) I only seem to get them on my upper body (upper arms, neck, chest and face).

A Dermy can do a punch and have it biopsied for Lupus. Steroid injections reduce them in no time flat.

Stephanie

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Paula
I'm not quite sure what the worry might be if it has been there so long without change, remains the only one and is barely visible, considering you already have a lupus diagnosis. Incidentally you give no indication of the size or body position and there are aspects that a two dimensional photo can't show or doesn't show such as scaliness but even so, dermatologists can't always tell just by looking since there are atypical forms and it depends how developed it is.

Differential diagnoses of subacute are, according to the emedicine article.

Dermatomyositis
Erythema Annulare Centrifugum
Erythema Gyratum Repens
Erythema Multiforme
Granuloma Annulare
Henoch-Schönlein Purpura (Anaphylactoid Purpura)
Hypersensitivity Vasculitis (Leukocytoclastic Vasculitis)
Lichen Planus
Lupus Erythematosus, Acute
Lupus Erythematosus, Discoid
Polymorphous Light Eruption
Psoriasis, Plaque
Sarcoidosis
Tinea Corporis

Do not under any circumstances start treating it yourself except if it really bothers you ask GP to try a topical steroid for a short while used very sparingly. Or see a dermatologist.

Subacute lesions are usually either wavy red rings with whitish or clear centres or red scaley plaques like psoriasis. See photo sites linked in post on Skin and Lupus stuck at the top of this section. A diagnosis of SCLE can't be given without having subacute skin ! It is a form of skin lupus. Many of those with subacute skin have enough criteria for an SLE diagnosis including ANA and anti Ro antibodies. Some have no blood work supporting an SLE diagnosis. Some have many serious systemic problems, although organ damage is rare, others might have only the skin affected; most have a variety of less serious symptoms of lupus, less serious from the medical point of view anyway.

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all your replies.

I'll try to be more specific. The camera taking a pic up close does no justice. It is about the size of a small grape. It has doubled in size. Originally it was about a little bigger than a pea. The inside is regular skin color. The outside is squiggly but a circle form and red. It is not raised. It is not scaly. It does not hurt. It does not itch. It is under my chest but above my stomache. Close to wear the end of your bra would be.

I am not really worried about it, just was curious if anyone ever had.

I intend to re-show my doc. Originally he said no clue. Nice. But tried the creams like cortisone and other over the counters for a few weeks each. Nothing has worked. It is not bothersome. Just has gotten bigger and was curious about it.

Thank you again for your replies and all the information.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Paula,:)

Looking at your pictures tells me that I am not the only one. I get the exact same thing, only mine can be the size of my fist. I have had biopsies and they are defineatly not fungal, steriod cream helps but as soon as they go, within a couple of days, they are back. All that came back from my biopsy was that it is lupus related.
Mine are always in one area, upper thigh and they do leave a brown scar which can takes weeks sometimes to fade.
Mine will start as a small pimple like lump with a white ring around it and it will grow from there. My lupus journey started with these. :eek:
I probably havn't been much help but I do know the Plaq. has helped a little, I don't get them as regularly as I use to.

Good luck with it all:wink2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts