The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, it has been a long while. I got my ear lobes pierced in the beginning of June on a whim, didn't consult my rheaumy, (bad me). My lupus is not rarin' but it ain't exactly sleeping beauty either. I am currently on some Cell Cept and Plaquneil. It is doing the normal things a piercing does, was tender after the piercing, forms crusties, has white discharge (which i have been told is normal and the result of lymph nodes).... it is a little tender still and i got it done at a professional sterile place with implant grade steel. I was told it was 6 weeks for a decent healing, but knowing me it will probably be more (my bruises and cuts heal slow compared to my lupus free buddies). It is still a bit tender some days and continues to ooze a little. Any peeps out their with piercing experience? Should I fear for my ears? Or just be prepared to nurse them for a good while? Any tips or comments are greatly appreciated.

smiles and hugs,
Jessica

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I got mine pierced a long time ago and had a similar experience to you and at the time I was considered a healthy teenager! Seems like it was about a month before stopped getting regular crusties. I recall being told to clean around the earring while still leaving it in the ear with an ear solution they sold of course. I still do that.

I still get mini little infections in the piercing area if I wear different earrings for too long other than my studs. Not sure if I have sensitive ears to certain metals or if my immune system is just weird that way. ;) I will only wear my studs at night or no earrings to this day as otherwise my ears react... Sometimes I'll use neosporin on the ears too or some other antibiotic gel.

Hope your ears settle down soon and you can enjoy lots of new earrings!

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi jessica, i love piercings and i won't let my lupus dictate that i can't have them. i have my ears done numerous times and my nose 3 times, i was sore for a while but used tea tree oil to calm the pain, it worked. Hope they heal quickly:):)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't have Lupus, i got my ears pierced when I was a baby (or I guess my mom got them pierced) and I still have issues if I wear a cheap earring. I've tried a couple of times to get my ears pierced a second time and always have to end up taking them out because my ears get soooo infected. I guess it's not just a Lupus thing, some of us just aren't good at healing I suppose.

Anway, good luck on your piercings!! I hope they heal quickly without a problem for you! :)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
My Daughter has quite a few piercings. She has Lupus. Some have been very successful, some less so. A couple of ear ones have always been a bit scarred, and her first belly button piercing grew out. She does love them though and also has rather more tattoos than I would like.
x Lola

·
linzi
13 Posts
hey hun,
ive got sle and have my ears percied 3 times on each ear(different places), my belly and my tonge, ive never had any problems,
just nurse them im sure they will be fine, alot of the time the lupus docs try and make you stop doing things you normaly would when your young, ie i went to bulgaira earlyer this yr and my doc was telling me not to go, and if i did not to go out in the sun, I went, went out in the sun, always round the pool and stuff, just wore factor 30 for the 1st week then factor 15 the 2nd week, was fine, doc even sed i looked well,
xx

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi,

I have 3 piercings in my ears and I had 1 in my nose they have healed fine but you do have to make sure you keep them clean and keep turning them for the first couple of months else you could get an infection.

I also had my belly button done but that never healed right and after about 4 months it worked its way out of my body. (Bodies have a great way of protecting themselves from things they dont like!)

Also the piercing at the top of my ear now tilts at a strange angle because I have to go on oxygen often and the nasal tube goes over your ears and presses down on it. It is also a bit uncomfortable. So think about things like that when you are planning any peircings.

Hope it all goes well and you get to wear beautiful earring soon

K

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Hi well it so funny to find a post like this as i have just had an experience with peircing.
To cheer my self up i had my eyebrow done and was well pleased. Unfortunately within 4 days my whole eyelid swelled and becamebright red!
i did all the correct cleaning processes but think that perhaps i caught it during sleep as i woke with blood all over my face! So i have taken it out and the swelling and redness has gone. I am gutted.
just be careful and its all removeable if things do go wrong!

best of luckxxx

netty

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Interesting thread. I had my ears done years ago, no problems, however, I went a few years back to get the part of the ear that is higher up done and it became so infected I had to take out the earring and let it close up.

Not sure why this happened but never the less it did. I was careful about cleaning it, rotating it, etc...but it just was not healing.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have had a number of piercings... What I've found is the ones I had done with surgical steel, at a nice tattoo parlor, and cleaned meticulously, survived. Although I got tired of them and took them all out when I was 22. Go figure. But I did have some hideously infected failed attempts too. My whole ear turned into a ball of puss at one point. Very nasty. And now I find when I squeeze the empty holes like a zit, I get a white discharge. Once I got a swollen lymph node near my ear after a piercing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had my ears pierced before I got diagnosed with lupus. The only problem I seem to have is I have to have pure metal earring and not just plated ones, as I get inflammed ear lobes when I do. I know another person who reacts like that though and she doesn't have lupus. She must have weird allergies like me. Allergies are very irritating like that!

So yeah, no worries, just keep 'em clean!

·
jmaca
203 Posts
I have 3 piercings in 1 ear and 2 in the other. I had to let a 6th. piercing go, as it was always infected. I didn't have any trouble with the first two, except that they took about 4 months to heal. I was a young teen. I had the others done in my 30's, with lupus. The two that were in the upper part of my lobe took forever to heal, and one never really did, so I let it go.

I've developed allergic reactions to most earrings over the last 3 years. I have to wear pure sterling or 14 kt. gold, and even then, if I change them frequently, my ear lobes swell out hot and red. But if I leave them in for a week or so at a time, it doesn't seem to happen very much. :shrug:

I love my piercings, though, and think they're worth the bother.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts