The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got home from my appointment with the new family doctor.. he was good and thorough and nice but I walked out in tears .. I have not been driving or walking.. I have numerous symptoms between Hashimotos and Lupus and I am not on meds.. I believe in holistic healing and do not take meds unless I feel it is needed... for me to walk out of that place with out meds devastated me.. I hate how I feel and what I am going through., I am angry and sad that I no longer can go for my walks or drive.. I am angry that I am soooo tired all the time. I just wanted this perfect little pill to make it all go away.. Expectations are premeditated resentments.. No one no this better than I do and yet I fell victim to it all. I left a message for the Rheumologist.. Who wanted to have me back two after my appointment with the Endocrinologist… so I assumed I would be referred to the Endocrinologist today but no such luck.. I have to wait until all my previous results are completely in his hands so that he may go over them first … so he said he would see me in four weeks.. FOUR more weeks of these horrible symptoms.. I am pissed off.. And by the time I see him in four weeks it will take another four weeks to see the Endocrinologists and then what, wait two more weeks until I see the Rheumologist to get medication.. UGH I feel so let down and defeated. I called my mom and cried because she knows that if I say I need medication then that means I am in dire need of help.
I have battled symptoms my entire life with Lupus and the like but it never lasted this long and was this intense.. the older I get the worse I am feeling… Sorry for venting.. I realize the only ones who can understand (no matter how hard some try) are those who have walked a similar path .. I am not one who likes a pity party but man there are those days that just weigh me down, today is one of them. :worried:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
(((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

I'm sorry you're feeling so so awful for the moment.

I'm afraid you're right, we all do know what you're going through. Unfortunately getting diagnosis and then treatment in place is often a slow process.

All I can do is suggest that you get in touch with the rheumy's secretary and explain what's going on (and not downplay your symptoms) and see if they have any suggestions.

As for the miracle pill. Well, I don't mean to be negative and treatment really is very good nowadays but the miracle pill (or pills) will take some time to start working.

Here's loads of strengthening hugs to help make you feel a little better,

:grouphug2:

Katharine

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy,
So sorry for the misery you are in. As said above, most of us have had moments like that.
Our daughter has a great expression, "Five minutes of self-pity never hurt anyone!" It may not be factual but there is truth in the notion. Indeed "expectation is instant resentment" but of one thing I must always beware: "Self-pity plus anger equals bitterness."
Sorry for myself because of pain and all its rotten little buddies; anger (resentment) because of the asinine incompetence of some medicos; and the bitterness only hurts me.
One day at a time; one minute at a time; this too will pass.
Lupus can take everything except our freedom to choose whether to be grateful for the good things or grated by the effects of what my MD calls this "horrible disease".
All the very best!
Douglas+

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:) Well thank you both for being so compassionate.. I mean that. I am exhausted both physically and emotionally and so I am off to sleep but I really wanted to write back and say thanks because all your words are heart felt and I am grateful to be on the receiving end !!! Good night

·
Registered
212 Posts
Oh man, you sound just like I did pre-diagnosis. The number of times I went to my GP and they just wouldn't help me - they kept saying, we don't know what we're treating, you'll have to wait for your rheumy appointment. It was so soul destroying, being in agony and not being able to do a damn thing about it.

Hang in there. Go and talk to your pharmacist - there are things you can take without prescription that may take the edge off it - I was taking paracetemol and ibuprofen at the maximum daily doses and it made life bearable until I was diagnosed. I was very like you - haven't so much as taken an asprin for a headache.

Hope you get some answers and feel better soon. And come and have a pity party here any time you like, it's nothing we haven't heard or been through before. Take care x

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I am glad no one here makes you feel bad when you delve into self wallowing for a little while. I am starting the prednisone tomorrow morning.. the Rheumologist called this afternoon with some blood work that he got back and said he was starting me on steroids.. I had asked for the smallest dose but was told I would need a moderate dosage.. Hmmm… I had mixed emotions but I know its needed. I took this as a child when I had the ITP and well I gained a good amount of weight.. I hope that will not be the case this time around.. either way though I need relief from the flare up I am currently in. I see the Thyroid doctors some time in August.. OK I am off to bed here shortly. I am just tired and my knees-ankles are just throbbing! I hope every one has a good night :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi again,

From the sound of it the steroids are necessary and it's a good thing that the rheumy is taking things seriously enough and starting you on them.

All I can advise re weight is to watch what you eat. Mind sugar AND salt. Salt can lead to water retention and most of us are pretty used to eating pretty salted (before anyway). Now I find that other people's meals are generally soooo salted if we're invited out :lol:

hugs :hug:
Katharine

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. I am a vegetarian and I literally eat salads, beans and the like. I do not drink anything at all except for water (with the occasional lemon slice in it) and I am not one for candy at all or chocolate. I am a chips girl but even then I stay far away.. But I do enjoy my morning coffee.. which was getting to be more to help with my fatigue.. which really did not help .. anyways I hope my diet will be ok on this medication. I really have to do research on this all.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Your diet will be absolutely fine with it :) just avoid too many salty chips!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wondering if your diet is helping you?
I find I need some steak once in a awhile as it does build strong bones.
I cannot seem to digest hamburg any more.
I love chips too but crave sugar.
If I am diagnosed with Lupus I plan to keep a journal to see perhaps if we can solve this mystery or just see when the flares up come? Is it weather or diet or what?
Love to know how we got this!!

ratherrun

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi I hope you get to feeling better soon...however I too am learning tha soon is a relative term when trying to treat lupus....I can only offer hugs and a ear to listen..we have been through it..hope prednisone helps..Di

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi,

Just dropping by to say, I hope your feeling better with the steroids on board.

Best Wishes,
Sandy

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi, I started feeling much better and so the doctor lowered my dose.. and added Plaq 200mg for the first two weeks. I was feeling so much better.. mentally the "fog" lifted.. now if it could just help with the other symptoms I would be better.. you know I do feel more energized then prior meds so I should not complain BUT I am not able to go for my walks still as my legs will swell and the heat makes me very ill.. maybe when the Autumn weather is here I will feel better...:hehe:

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Glad you are feeling better, the plaq takes a while to act, but I have found it helped with my fatigue.

Deb

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
So glad there is some improvement. As to your diet, I am what I call a reluctant vegetarian. I cannot digest meat, poultry most fish, shellfish etc so it is grains, vegetables and dairy products for me with a little bit of whitefish and shrimp. Hurray for protein bars, by the way. Haven't had a steak in over three decades and find contradictory emotions even thinking about it: sure would taste good, sure would make me sick!:lol:
I hope your medicos will be able to manage your problems well!
Douglas+

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.