The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
My Rheumatologist did the same thing. They said the Plaquenil wasn't working, so they dropped it and put me on methotrexate.

Nutty

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello :)
Lots of people take them together. Multi-therapy is very common these days and Plaquenil often continues to be used even if additional medicines are needed because it has so many benefits. It can do good in ways that are not apparent. It could mean that less of the next more toxic drug is needed.

Clare

·
Registered
495 Posts
:).......OH it worked! I got in! :).........
I was just put on methotrexate too but was told I had to continue on the plaquenil as well..........:)......... I hope this has been helpful

Laura(LWL2002)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Methotrexate and Plaquinel

Yes, I am on both, the methotrexate being in a shot once a week, 0.8cc's. I am finally off the steroids and am thankful. I also had two infusions of rituxin for the ra in May. Hope things get to working.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi All,
yes when i start the methotrexate i wil be taking both together too.
I guess it just depends on the doc and what they think is best.

Take Care All

Cassie :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been on Methotrexate since June 07 and have also been taking Plaquenil since February. So far my rheumy has no intention of taking me off either. I take 17.5mg methotrexate. Evrything seems to be working ok at the moment. I have also just started taking Prednisolone. :hehe:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was on both Plaq. and MTX for 16 months, first 20 mg. pills of MTX then 0.8 injections, dropped to .6 because of side effects. My understanding is it's very common to take both and the current thinking is that it's better to hit the disease hard early on with a drug combo. Since I was just switched from MTX to Imuran, I'm hoping I'll have the same benefits. MTX works really well for many people.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am on methotrexate and plaquenil both , and have been on them for many,many months (read years for the plaq.). The MTX is for my arthritis etc. pains , and the Plaquenil is for my inflammation of my lung and heart linings as I understand it anyways.
I was on Imuran , but that was stopped when I went on methotrexate. Have tried other drugs with this combination ... such as sulfasalazine.
All the best to everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts