The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!I hope everyone is doing well.I have some more questions for you guys.Clare, I seen that you mentioned in another post that some of us take our plaqunil in one dose in the morning.I take 200mgs,2xday.It would definantly be more conviniant for me to be able to take it all in the morning.Could anyone tell me more about this?Also I have not heard the results of my 24hr.urine test yet,but my gp did scheldue me to have a echocardiagram on the 15th.Do you think this is just another test on our never ending list? I was just dx in december 07 and I am trying to learn as much as I can about all of this.Thanks eveyone for being so informative,nice and very helpfull. Patti

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I take my full dose in the morning; took 400 mg a day for years first thing in the morning. I think once you've been on 400 mg for a while - that taking it all in the morning will not produce any adverse side effects due to the very long half life of Plaquenil (about 30 days...).

Of course, you should ask your doctor about it, but it is very common practice to take it all at the same time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Expiration

What do you mean by half life. I have one bottle that was filled in November but I decided not to take until after a surgery I had removing my parotid gland. Then we couldn't find it and got the December bottle filled. Now we have both are they going to be good. Just started taking last week.

Cherylfromky:)

·
Registered
580 Posts
great post patticake i had no idea you can take 400 mg of plaquenil in one dose.

im going to start doing this. sometimes i forget to take my 2nd dose.

thank you

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi,

The half life of a drug is how long it takes the body to get rid of half of the dosage of the drug. Some medicines are processed and excreted quickly, and some slowly. Many antibiotics for example have a very short half life, which is why they need to be taken 4 times a day. Plaquenil has a really long half life, so the levels in our body build up slowly (over weeks ), but also drop slowly.

Here is an article which describes it better:blush:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/What_You_Should_Know_About_Medicines/Half_life,_or_how_often_to_take_it

The aim of treatment is to have steady levels of the drug in the blood stream at all times, so the longer the half life, the less often you need to take it to still maintian a steady level.

People who tale plaquenil for malaria prophylaxis take 400mg once a week, and that is frequent enough to keep the effectivenes of the drug stable.

Those of us who take 400mg daily shouldn't take all 7 doses together once a week though, as this would probably result in a lot of nasty side effects:eek:

Cheers,

X C X

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Patticake,

I've always taken my 400mg last thing at night before I go to bed. I always take a drink of water to bed so it is part of my routine.

I think there are quite a few lupies that take theirs in the morning.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I have always taken My Plaq One in morning and One at nNght, as my Prescription reads 200mg Twice a day. I don't suppose it matters as long as you don't forget them

Sheila xox :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody for the info.I started taking mine in one dose this morning and I am glad I do not have to worry about it the rest of the day. Anything that can make the days a little easier I am all up for!:lol: THANKS AGAIN PATTI

·
Registered
413 Posts
Tommys told me to take 200mg in the morning and 200mg at night so that i have 24 hr coverage i have always for years taken it like that........If you are concerned ask your Doc who prescribed it for advice
Love Lou xxx

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Patticake,

I have always taken mine all at once. I think that some doctors prescribe it twice a day because patients sometimes have stomach problems with it. I take mine following breakfast so as to split up some of my meds between morning and evening.

Take care,
Karen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts