The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anybody knows of drugs that shouldn't be taken with Plaquenil. I recently saw a list of about half a dozen which I failed to bookmark although I read it and couldn't see any that we typically take. I read of one one other time. The question arises from DnA's post

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68865

where her doctor noticed a possible interaction between Plaquenil and gabapentin/ Neurontin but didn't know why there should be so prescribed the gabapentin anyway. I couldn't see any mention of this or any other with Plaquenil on drugdigest although I am never quite sure if I am using that site properly.

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Clare

Okay - Im on a mission! :hehe:

Possible food and drug interactions when taking Plaquenil

If Plaquenil is taken with certain other drugs, the effects of either could be increased, decreased, or altered. It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Plaquenil with the following:

Any medication that may cause liver damage
Aurothioglucose (Solganal)
Cimetidine (Tagamet)
Digoxin (Lanoxin)
http://www.drugs.com/pdr/plaquenil.html

Heres another one about Plaquenil and Penicillamine (an anti-rheumatic drug used for RA) described as a 'serious interaction'

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-698...ENTS/PENICILLAMINE&intrtype=DRUG&pagenumber=9

More detailed one about Plaquenil and Digoxin (used in some heart conditions) described as a 'moderate interaction'

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-698...HLOROQUINE/DIGOXIN&intrtype=DRUG&pagenumber=9

Interesting. I will keep searching.....

Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I thought the only interaction was antacids, but.....I have recently acquired the latest edition of British National Formulary which is used by doctors.

I'm not sure if my post is credible if I can't back it up with a website though. Happy to take the mods lead on this.

The only drug interactions it mentions is that it shouldn't be used cocurrently with hepatotoxic drugs - I take it that means ones that affect or are for the liver????

It does also state that it should be used with caution with patients that have liver or kidney disease, prophyria, gastro intestinal disorder or G6PD deficiency. Most of this is noted on the sites that Joan posted.

Hope this helps,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Just because there is an interaction between two drugs, that does not necessarily mean that they cannot be taken together. I am on a bunch of drugs that interact - sometimes it will mean that one of the drugs may alter the level of the other drug, so the other drug level must be monitored, stuff like that. Because I have epilepsy I have a lowered seizure threshold, so various drugs can be more problematic - then again, I am often able to take them without a problem, particularly at lower doses etc etc.

The classic drug for interacting is coumadin, as those of us who are on it know only two well. It interacts with practically everything.

Best thing to do is to make sure the doctor who is doing the prescribing is aware of all the meds you are on - although how the heck doctors can keep up with the vast number of interactions is beyond me.

hth

raglet

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hello Clare
What I have done for years is when I have a question about drugs and interactions with others I go to Walgreens Drug Store web site.
It is a chain Pharmacy here in the US. The website will aloow you to put in a couple of drugs and it will look for interactions.
This can be a lengthy process if on very many because it only allows you to check one drug against another drug.
It will not check a combination on three or more for you at one time.

https://www.walgreens.com/login.jsp;jsessionid=EU1AJAYADWL4MCXOUAPHQHQK30QB23MK?_requestid=275469

You will need to register at the site to use this feature but it does not cost anything and the registeration is fairly easy.

It will also allow you to check for interactions with items you may not normally think of like the vitamins, herbal teas and other items.

You can also get information sheets on most drugs.
What may mess some up is what they call a drug in one part of the world is not always a name that is used in another.
If the name is a brand name the drug name may have to be used.
And some drugs that are available in some countries have not always been approved in others so they may not appear on the list.

If you find a interaction you may need to ask your Doctor about it.
Sometimes they know that they have prescribed two drugs that can have a interaction but this just means they have to monitor for it and be more careful.
At other times they may have missed something that you will catch.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
RWB www.drugdigest.org will check for interactions with other medications, food and something else. It allows you to put all your medications in at the same time plus any OTC meds. This is great for me since my list of medications is quite lengthy.

Interesting on the Neurontin/Gabapentin. I have taken both for almost 5 years now with no problem and there are many other members here who take both medications. I will go put this on the other post if no-one else has yet.

Karen

·
Registered
50 Posts
Plaquenil & Gabapentin

I spoke to pharmacist today about interaction between Plaquenil & Gabapentin - after a 10 minute search I got an answer, so here goes

Plaquenil reduces the potency of Gabapentin, which can be a problem when it's used as an anti-convulsant. She said that although this reduced potency would also apply when used for neuropathy it wouldn't have any adverse effects.

If only I'd had the sense to ask when I picked up the original prescription!

Hope this helps

Sammy

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah that's interesting, thanks for letting us know Sammy. I guess that fits with the antimalarials tending to lower seizure thresholds, so having to be used with caution in people with epilepsy in case they are especially susceptible this way.

Thanks for all the very useful comments and tips. "Interact with" clearly has several possible meanings, very often increasing or reducing the effects of other medicines rather than the two medicines together making a person seriously ill, although that can happen

The reason for not taking antacids for an hour or so either side of taking Plaquenil is that they reduce absorption I think it's the same for other meds not just Plaquenil. And of course for herbals, supplements and even foodstuffs in some cases like grapefruit juice.

It is a good idea to inform oneself about one's meds. It's useful to know that many increase photosensitivity for example, or thin the blood a bit or what supplements should be taken with certain medicines, such as folic acid and methotrexate. Not to mention checking the prescription when it's filled to be sure that it is the med that was prescribed, the dosage, even that you have the right quantity. One of my meds is often out of stock and once the pharmacist forgot to note that more were due. It didn't matter in this case, but it could be important in the case of listed pain killers for example, or if you were going away on holiday.

Cheers

Clare

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Clare,

It is always god to bring up drug interactions with the medications that we take. So many of us on our quite the drug cocktail, that we don't always know what meds interact and sometimes we just forget to ask or even think about it.

Everyone really needs to stop and consider not only what prescribed meds that we take but over the counter medications, herbal treatments either in medication or in our beverages, food, facial cleansers etc. Everyone really needs to take a proactive stance and be very investigative on what we take into our bodies. We have enough going on as it is, we do not need to go and borrow trouble.

Nancy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.