The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Been taking plaquenil for 2 weeks. About 10 days ago I came up with a rash on back of my hands. V itchy similar to nettle rashesp at night and in sun. Was unsure whether it was connected to plaquenil or possibly sun as it was a sunny day when it came up. Saw GP who thought it was unconnected as I have a rash on my fingers which appeared before I took plaquenil but to me that feels different. The rash on my fingers start as hard lumps that hurt rather than itch. They have now gone a purple/red colour and look bruised. Very ugly and can't waer wedding ring now. Been given steriod cream.
Today I have an itchy rash like on the back of my hands on my neck. Has anyone had similar and how do you know if it's plaquenil or not? Do I go back to GP or see how it goes?
Hope you all well.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello :)
If it isn't possible to contact the rheumy for advice then I would want to stop the Plaquenil to see if the rashes start going away. It does sound rather worrying: certainly unpleasant to experience and possibly clinically ill advised to keep taking it in these circumstances. It might be important to stop it.
It will be a bore if it turns out it is the Plaquenil.
Sometimes reactions can be avoided by very gradually reintroducing the drug and maybe taking a lesser dose but I think this sort of things needs to be done under medical supervision.

It should be possible to contact the rheumy.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Clare

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Myself and my Daughter are both very allergic to Plaquenil. We knew within a couple of days. If you think Plaquenil is the culprit it is important to stop it quickly, not wait and see. For me two days on Plaquenil meant five months wait for skin to heal! Hope this is not so in your case.

Daughter and I both take mepacrine with no problem.
x Lola

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Why can't life just be simple?!
I wish I got paid each time I thought that!
Definitely stop the Plaquenil if things are that bad ! I certainly would.

Lola and Immi's experience is very interesting because I wasn't sure if people who have a skin reaction to Plaquenil would likely be OK with the alternative antimalarial Mepacrine.

I would go to see my GP as an emergency or even to A&E in the hope of getting something to quickly ease and soothe. If you went to London privately if I remember rightly, you can certainly call the doctor.

Feel better soon
Clare

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Clare,
Mepacrine was wonderful for my skin. My only problem was that the treatment was delayed for 5 months while my skin healed from the Plaquenil, this is one reason I always urge people to act quickly if they think they are allergic.

Immi and I have both been fine on Mepacrine and she is now doing quite well four months after starting. We even hope she may manage College this year having had to quit twice so far due to health.
x Lola

PS. I am always grateful that we have you here as you are so knowledgable on skin issues I always know you will help people.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would say it is the plaquinel! Made me so itchy I wanted to die! My doc had me stop and then start again after things settled down just to be sure it was the drug. Sure as anything the itch came back so no plaquinel for me!

Pukeko

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi.

My rash was limited to the back of my hands. It was red / purple and covered the entire back of both hands. At the same time, my blood pressure spiked up along with a fever. Warm water on my hands felt like fire. It was gone in two days.

This thing flared the day of a visit to my rheumatologist...how rare is that!. She saw it in full glory and had no idea what it was or what caused it.

I was taking plaquenil at the time, but I had been taking it for years with no side effects or evidence of allergy. The only thing she thought it might have been was a reaction to honey I had eaten for lunch that day. It was the only thing that was unusual in my day or diet.

I google searched trying to find itchy burny rash limited to the back of hands.....found absolutely nothing.

It's a bit scary...hope you are just reacting to something you ate! My rash was gone in two days never (so far) to return.

Best Wishes, Fran

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.