TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cyrenatee
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been in and out and around the forums for the past ten years but, admittedly, since I've been in remission (about three or four), I've not stayed in touch with my lupus friends. Please forgive me.

This is my question (trusting your generosity and understanding)...
I'm considering changing my maintenance med of plaquenil to the generic, hydrochlorophine (sp.)
If you have any experience doing this or any references that I can study before making the change, please let me know.

I'm currently taking Plaquenil twice a day (200 mg. each) and anti-inflammatories plus thryoid and atalat (blood pressure). Hopefully, it wouldn't matter because it would be tons less expensive.

Thank you.
Be well.
Always with love, Cyrenatee

I don't remember how to insert my signature, but will type it...
"Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Cyrena,

I have been on the generic version ever since I came out of remission. If I remember correctly some people have stomach issues with the generic that they don't with the name brand. I am surprised your doctor hasn't already changed you to generic.

Karen

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have only taken the generic, and had some intestinal side effects at first, but went away within 3 weeks. I think this is common with either generic or brand name though...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Cyrena,I take the generic form also and although I have only been on it for a couple of months now,I have not had any kind of issues with it at all. I do hope that you have good results with it if you do decide to try it. Best Wishes, Patti:)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Cyrena, I have only taken generic and always with food. I havent noticed any problems.

Nice to have you neighbor, Im from the bloomington illinois area. lisa

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Cyrena, I started out with the name brand and too switched to generic because of the expense. I had no side affects at all. I was scared to change but sooo glad I did. No problems whatsoever. I had taken the name brand for probably a year before switching. Good luck, I really don't think you will have any problems. Raeann :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I started out taking the brand name because my doctor told me he didn't want me to take the generic. My insurance threw a flag up after about a year and refused to pay for anything except the generic. The pharmacist assured me that the generic was what everyone took and that he didnt understand my doctors objection to it. It was way cheaper so I started the generic but haven't told my doctor that I switched....I know I should have but I honestly forgot and just now reading this brought it all back. I think the generic is just as good in my opinion but maybe you should ask your doctor to see what he has to say.
Mary

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
This will seem like a silly question - but how do you know which one you are on?

My prescription says 'Hydroxychloroquine' but the box I get has both Hydroxy plus Plaquinel on it so I am a little confused.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Mine also says the same as you LoopyLoo!

Lesley

·
Stay Positive
79 Posts
As someone who is planning on embarking on a career path as a pharmacist...

As far as I can tell, for us here in the UK, the generic isn't available it is not listed in my BNF (British National Formulary, very useful for people in the medical profession as it lists and tells you all about every medicine available in the UK. All be it mine is the September 2006 editin and September 2007 has just been released).

It is listed as costing £4.55 sterling, which to the UK system is no big deal because the standard cost of UK prescriptions is £6.85 for people between the ages of 19 and 60 so it is actually a profit maker for the NHS where we get free health care so its swings and roundabouts.

But as far as generics go, here in the UK, as soon as a generics available it's rare you'll see the branded again, it makes no difference whatsoever generally. Same drug formula, sometimes generics may leave out the enteric coating which made a difference for me in pred so I just switched to a difference generic that does pred with enteric coating.

I've rambled on a bit and given lots of irrelavant information but thats the UK side of generics and Plaquenil.

Andy :)
Would be: Andrew Clare Mpharm

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Thanks for explanation Andy!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Mr Andy Clare Mpharm - Sir,

You crack me up! :rotfl:

Why didn't I think of looking that up.

Thanks pal,

Pam x

·
florie
589 Posts
Hi,
I was taken the name brand for about 1 year. Then my insurance only paid for the generic brand. I haven't really noticed to much of a difference. I still get a stomach ache after taking it right after a full meal. But I was getting a metalic taste in my mouth. I don't know if it is coated as well as the name brand as someone else has mentioned.
I asked my doctor to write the script up for the name brand. He wrote it up as medically needed. But no luck , my insurance co only paid for the generic.
The pharmacist says there is no difference between the two brands. But i feel the generic gives me that metalic taste. Other wise i am okay with it.
I'll live with metalic over flares and full blown lupus any day :) .
Hope this has helped you........
Florie

·
Cyrenatee
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for your replies!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences about this.
In the U.S., at least for my insurance (which is generally excellent),
only generic are covered - even partially.
I've been afraid to use anything other than the brand, Plaquenil, and
have been paying about 10x what it costs for the other.
Since it's been a miracle drug for me, it seemed worth it.
I'll reconsider with so much evidence that it might not matter.
Thanks again.
Love, Cyrenatee aka Billie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts