The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Melanie

Plaquenil isn't a 'sulfa' drug which means a certain sort of antibiotic, the sulfonamides. Plenty of people who are allergic to those sulfa drugs take Plaquenil without any problem.
This sounds all very odd to me! Quinine? I never heard of anybody taking Quinine for lupus. One option to Plaquenil is Chloroquine and another is called Mepacrine in the UK & Quinacrine in the USA which is an alternative to the first two. Perhaps that what he meant?
It is available from compounding pharmacies in the USA and from hospital pharmacies in the UK or from Boots if you can get your GP to prescribe it. Does this rheumy treat lots of lupus patients? Hope some help

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello again Melanie :)
I would definitely be looking for another opinion. I couldn't find any mention of quinine being used these days for lupus, not for 60 years. It's used mainly for leg cramps that I can see so what's the difficulty obtaining it.
I noticed that a couple of chemical names for quinine were quinine sulfate and quinine bi- or was it di- sulfate. I can't explain the chemistry of these medicines because I don't understand the explanations :lol:

Even those medicines like celebrex which warn that they shouldn't be taken by people with lupus because they have a little bit in them, in fact are generally well tolerated even by those who can't take the sulfonamide antibiotics. The same goes for some of the diuretic medicines. Cross sensitivity seems to be unusual.

It's all very odd. I doubt if this doctor knows something about Plaquenil that none of the lupus experts knows. Surely we would have heard all about it if it was true !

Good Luck
Clare

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I just remembered that tonic water, which has quinine in it, is supposed to help with the leg cramps and one time the question came up of drinking tonic water to get enough quinine to treat lupus. You would have to drink so much tonic water that lupus would be the least of your problems !:hehe:

Clare

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.