The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been advised to increase my dose from 200mg per day to 200mg one day then 400mg the next. My Immunologist did not say how to take!!!

So the question is on the day I need to take 400mg should it be all in one go or split into 2 (i.e. 200mg twice a day).

Perhaps there is not set answer but I thought I'd ask those people that use the medication as I can't reach my Immunologist and my GP has no idea what is required yet!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Lesley

I take mine 200mg in the morning and 200mg in the evening. I believe there are variations on how to take it, i.e. some people have been prescribed to take it all in one go.

At the end of the day it doesnt really make a lot of difference because it is a long acting drug so spreading it out over the day will only help ease you into it, I would imagine.

If I were you I would take the 400mg in two doses - am and pm. With a bit of luck it might reduce the amount of gas you produce ;)

Dont worry too much about it. Whatever is convenient is probably best for you.

Best of luck
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Plaquenil

Hi,

I am also on plaquenil 200mg twice daily, I take mine once in the morning with breakfast then once in the evening with dinner.

I dont think you should take it all at once, they can be heavy on your stomach. I take mine after food which helps.

It would be best to double check with your pharmacist either way.

All the best,

Primrose

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
hi lesley i am the same as joan itake one in the morning one at dinner time so i dont forget i have done that since i started have you just started on 400mg or have you been told to take a higher dose elisabeth:)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Lesley,

I take 2 x 200mgs right before I go to bed as prescribed by my rheumy and have done for the last 18 months without issue.

Some people do react to an increase in dose so find it easier to split it between morning and evening.

Do whatever is easiest and best for you. I hope you get on ok.

Hugz, :hug:

Pam xxx

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Elisabeth,

I was started on only 200mg in Dec 2007 with no effect yet! I questioned the low dose and was told yesterday (by my Immunologist who trained at Loiuse Coote Centre St Thoms) that everone in UK was started on this dose and only in USA was it higher!

At least I am able to higher the dose now and perhaps I will have less pain, more hair and no brain fog!!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!

I try to take them seperately at first but my memory is rubbish to the point I can't always remember whether I've had breakfast, lunch or tea. Sometimes I'm sure I eat twice for a sitting and others times it turns out not at all!

So probably I'll end up having to take in one go if stomach will allow! I will need to invest in a pill machine that has an alarm, but one thing it can't help with is reminding me to take with me when I go out!!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
311 Posts
I take 2 pills one with breakfast & one with dinner. It is hard on my stomach so I do better with food. I have been taken 2 200 a day for all most 4 years.

Take care

·
Registered
311 Posts
I complain to everyone about it and I get no help!! Its so embarassing!!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
LOL! My Gran always said 'Let the wind gang free, where eer ye be'.

That comes from Rabbie Burns the scots poet. There is a whole other poem relating to the after affects of a haggis but it would take a bit of translation for our overseas friends. :rotfl:
Hmmm.....should I post........

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
I take mine all at once after breakfast. That is because I take my Nsaid and weekly Methotrexate after dinner. I have major stomach issues but the plaquenil has never bothered me. At the end of the day do what is best and easiest for you. I have pill takers 1 for morning and 2 for evening. That is the only way I can be sure I take my meds. The 2 meds that don't fit in those time frames are the ones I forget to take. My hormones and my cholesterol med. The cholesterol med is the one I forget the most.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi,

I also take my plaquenil twice a day - with breakfast and with my eveving meal.

I was started on 400mg daily - I'm in Belgium not the US! My rheumy said that we might lower it later if things went well. As I have had to add other meds to the plaquenil in order to get a control of the disease, she hasn't mentioned reducing again.

Katharine

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi,

I'm also on the 200 mg one day and 400 the other day. I do the 1 pill on odd days, and the 2 pills on even days.

Like you, remembering what I've done is a major problem, so I take all my pills all at once, once a day (there is nothing on the list that can't be taken this way for me fortunately).

X C X

·
Registered
233 Posts
I take 400 mgs. (2X200) every morning with most of my other meds , and have been doing this for over 2 years .... find it no big deal.
All the best.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts