The Lupus Forum banner

Plaquineil itching

680 views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  lazylegs 
#1 ·
hello

Just wondered those of you taking P are you free from itching. I know its a weird question. I was put on it a while back to stop itching didnt work 4 me.
Still itching like mad could be the illnesses I have or the many meds Im on Tried by stopping some meds but no relief. Im dreading the summer as when Im hot its worse. MY poor hubby I wake him up as Im shaking the bed itching myself. Wears me out. My whole body is itchy my hands the palms also the soles of my feet toes even my ears. I know dont itch but I can only last so long. Then always regret it after. Im moisturing like mad but my skin is still so dry. Try eating foods that are good for your skin, suppose my body just cant get the goodness from them. Im seeing a dermatologist and they are having troubles with what to do with me next. Any ideas?

#2 ·
HI Dixy i dont think that there is anyone that does not get the itching if you look at past post you will see how many of us have the same problem.I myself put a post on when i started with the plaquine.One of the others said to try a cream called Aqueous creamBP.You can get it on prescrpsion if you are in the uk or you can get it at superdrugs it is great i use it all the time.Hope this Helps Elisabeth

#3 ·
Hi Dixy,

Are you saying you were put on plaq to stop itching?
Please forgive if I am reading your post wrong.

Plaq is one of the first meds they put us on for lupus.
I am on the generic version of plaq. I have found out that I need to take cooler showers. That has helped my itching with taking plaq.

In the lotions you are using, is there alcohol in them? I have spent many minutes reading the ingred. on the back of them. They say alcohol is drying to the skin.

I hope they can figure something out at your dermy app.

Love,
Lyn

#4 ·
Hi dixy,

The first two days I took Plaquenil, my itching almost disappeared, my malar rash faded to the point I looked pale, and I had an incredible boost in energy. I have been on Plaquenil 10 days now and the itching is back, almost as bad as ever, the energy is largely gone, and the malar rash comes and goes. I think my body had an immediate response to the Palquenil, then found homeostais again.

Barb

#5 ·
Dear Barb,
My Daughter and I are both seriously allergic to Plaquenil. We started itching horribly within a day or two. I lost so much skin it took five months to recover. Please check that you are not allergic to it. If you are, there is still a good substitute you can take.
x Lola

#6 ·
Hi Dixy

I have had an itching allergy to Mepacrine and now it would seem Plaquenil.
The worst areas were my hands and soles of my feet and inside my mouth.

Im not sure how long you have been on the medication but I saw a Dermie and he took me off Meparcrine firstly then after 8 weeks also Plaquenil.

Systemically I felt itchy and quite ill. It did begin on the soles of feet and palms of hands and eventually over most of my body.

The rash that developed was called Lichen Planus which was an aggressive reaction to the meds.

Im not sure if you can get other itching not LP.

I'm 6 months down the line and Im still itching although not so bad.

Do you have a rash?

Nicky:)

#7 ·
Dixy,
There are creams that can help that both a dermy or rhuemy can give you. It does help and the itching does stop if it is used as prescribed. I know all the meds we are on sometimes you just want to stop taking it just for awhile or you just forget to take one of the doses. It is worth asking about and if you want the name of the one I used just message me and I will send you the name and you can ask about it at least.

#8 ·
Hi
Im on so many meds, have tried stopping certain ones which were suspect. One was stopped that I had funding for and its been a nightmare getting switched back to it taken 5 months. I was only put on plaquinel for this itching:( opprox month) I have mixed connective tissue disease. Dont know if Lupus caused this or my immune system going berserk, some times its hard to understand what I have. :worried:

#9 ·
Hi Dixy,

I also carry the official diagnosis of MCTD so it is difficult to know exactly what we have and can be frustrating. It is a overlap of sorts, more then one auto immune thing thrown into the same bag.

As for the itching, cooler showers and a good lotion helps. Maybe your dermatologist can give you a prescription cream to help.

#10 ·
:rotfl:Hi me again;););)

Thought Id let u know how Im doing the itching seems to be less:) dont know if its because or the steroid Ive been put on for the flare up :(Only bad on hands and feet at moment touch wood;)Dermy phoned me yesterday 8)Otto he is so kind I have other skin stuff going on as well He has booked me for a skin biopsy and also take one of the lumps out:eek::eek::eek: for testing also a C T scan says so he can see whats going on inside so looks promising, well hope so. THERES ALWAYS HOPE thats what keeps me going at times

having a good day so far just hope I behave myself and dont over do it:rotfl:
Dixy

#12 ·
thanks every one

well stuff is moving quickly:wink2: wont have time to fret lol.:lol: Dermy phoned and had booked me in next friday eek:eek::eek::eek: for biopsy on neck and to take a lump out on my hip I think. Hope I dont end up scarred phew:worried: Then they are going to do a CT SCAN to see whats going on inside.Cool stuff eh. just ging to slather myself in emla cream as I hate needles and the anasthetics usually sting like mad:eek::eek::eek:
Dixy

#13 ·
Sounds like things are moving ahead for you!

I'm also all for using the elma cream - very needle phobic and having less pain makes the thought less distressing and painful!

Good luck, take care!

#14 ·
skin biopsy

Well survived:) the skin biopsy on neck and the lump they took on my hip 6 STITCHES. Just had to ask to see it :lol:the lump it was massive size of a marble:lol: Emla cream worked a treat left on for 4 hours) didnt feel a thing just a bit of tugging.:) Found the name of the anasthetic(stung like mad the last time):eek::eek::eek: they used it so Im ready 4 when they want to do another R.H.C. So well pleased just wait 4 results and day for CT Scan. Amazingly the itching seems to B subsiding. only on my hands now.

dixy

#15 ·
Hi Dixy,
Glad you survived the biopsy.:) You are far braver than me. I probably would of passed out if I saw what they took out.:faint:

Great news that your itching is slowing down.

Good luck with the rest of your tests.:thumbs:

Love,
Lyn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.