The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take plaquinil to manage my lupus. I got sick about 5 or 6 days ago. Probably started with allergies and immediately turned into a head/nose/ throat/ chest situation. I went to my dr. on the 2nd ( not my RA) day and he gave me a steroid shot. I haven't gotten better. I've been treating the symptoms. I was wondering if anyone has ever stopped taking their ammunosupressant so their immune system can help to get better??
Thanks, Melanie

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi Melanie,
Welcome to the group! It's good to hear that you are treating the cold symptoms. Lupus is very complex and people with lupus do not have a "normal" immune system. Letting our bodies go without medication can have disastrous effects. Many times I have thought the same thing as you. If my immune system needs to fight an infection, why am I suppressing it? The answer is our immune system is not working right. Especially for those of us with organ involvement. Stopping medication always causes me to flare and usually makes things worse. After trying that for many years, I have come to the conclusion that my body needs the medication. I would be hospitalized if I ever tried it again. Speak to your rheumy before attempting anything like that. Take care, Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Melanie,
Welcome to the group! It's good to hear that you are treating the cold symptoms. Lupus is very complex and people with lupus do not have a "normal" immune system. Letting our bodies go without medication can have disastrous effects. Many times I have thought the same thing as you. If my immune system needs to fight an infection, why am I suppressing it? The answer is our immune system is not working right. Especially for those of us with organ involvement. Stopping medication always causes me to flare and usually makes things worse. After trying that for many years, I have come to the conclusion that my body needs the medication. I would be hospitalized if I ever tried it again. Speak to your rheumy before attempting anything like that. Take care, Joe
Thank you Joe,
That makes sense, I'll keep taking my meds as directed.

·
4,438 Posts
I am in my third month of fighting a viral infection that has also become bacterial and needed antibiotics for three weeks too... I was told to stop my immunosuppressants whilst on antibiotics but I have struggled with a very sore sternum...actually excruciatingly painful.... and I think the lupus is hopping on top of my sore muscles/connective tissue and meddling !
I just keep in touch with my Rheumy to let him know and I have seen every GP in the practice I think over Christmas and up to date to check my lungs as I have PF too...............it is always good to let your Rheumy know what is happening and ask their advice....hope it goes soon but if it is what is going around here the average is 8 wks and that is without having Lupus ...:0((((

1 - 4 of 4 Posts