The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi....im going to have a moan..sorry....:mad:.......i have just had a blood test..a little amount 1 small tube.....i am fed up with these practise nurses...puncturing my arm 3 or 4 times trying to get blood:sad:...it hurts like ****....they cant find a vein...then im left with several very large bruises and swelling and painfull arms......then they have to go get the GP to do it......:eek:.....thanks for that.....:rolleyes:.....jane

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Jane

I fully understand appreciate and really do sympathise what you are saying! I have the exact same problem!! It does hurt alot, particularly if you are having a flare up.

When I had blood taken in December at the GP practice, the nurse used a children's blue butterfly with a vaccume syringe (cant spell today, sorry!!) and that was after she tried in my elbow first. She said I should always tell medical staff in future to use that blue butterfly and to insist on this as to use any other way would just be a complete waste of time and pain on my part.

When I was in A&E last week, I asked the dr to use a blue butterfly (explained why) and he said NO!! My family and I were to say the least disgusted! After 4 attempts in several places he went off and got a blue butterfly and hooray, got what he wanted, my blood. He could have saved both his time and my pain by listening to me in the 1st place.

From now on my husband says that I have to only agree to bloods being taken if staff use the blue butterfly and they listen to me and to refuse if they try anything else and that is what I intend to do, in a polite calm way, from now on!

Gettle hugs

Julia

·
Registered
40 Posts
I understand completely! I always tell the lab people that they need to use a butterfly and don't usually have any problem. My problem comes in when it's time for an IV. They can't use a butterfly for that. I got lucky with my last surgery in that it only took 2 times to get a good stick, but the one before took 7 times! they can't use Lidocaine with me either. Besides -- the lidocaine hurts worse than the IV itself!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi,

I have the same problem. My veins are deep and small. I hate it when they "dig" for the vein. They also, after several failed attempts try to use the back of my hand..I politely refuse. They "dig" around in my hands and it really hurts when they stick the needle into the tendons in the back of my hands.

The butterfly really helps a lot. It takes a bit longer to get the blood and most are in a big hurry so ..can't be bothered with using it, even if it is less painful for us. :( Better luck, for all of us with our blood draws.

Sandy

·
Registered
250 Posts
I got the same problem. My veins like to "dodge" the needle. My GP had one new guy that could NEVER hit a vein (he's now gone). When I was undergoing chemo they would constantly miss...and I HATE getting IVs put in. After one trip when they tried 8 times and were about to start the 9th I said "if you miss again I'm going to punch you!". The nurse went out of the room and came back with someone who managed to hit it on the first try. I got her name and EVERY time I was back there for chemo I asked for her...no actually I DEMANDED her. I can tolerate misses with the smaller needles....but IVs I hate. That was somtimes the worst part of chemo, getting the line in. Worse was when they had to put it in the back of my hand and I'd have to spend the day with it there.

Eric

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi,

One of the more usefull tips for those with bad veins.
Hydration,drink lots before you get your blood taken. Wear something really warm, veins plump up better when you are warm and contrict when you are cold. Try to relax, pain is felt more when tense.

sometimes these tips work

Sharon

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Jane, could you possibly go to a Hospital Path Lab for your blood tsts? I find the phlebotomists there are much more experienced than staff at the GP surgery. I know if this means travel it may not be possible for you. Alternatively if you can trust the GP to do it, insist on him.
x Lola

1 - 7 of 7 Posts