The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi!
I have sle (diagnosed 1 year ago).
now my brother, who has always been healty, has been taken to hospital where they found an extremely low platelet count (1000!!!). All the other blood work was fine, but they are still waiting for the autoantibodies result. He shows no signs of inflammation. They say it could be a virus who caused this or an autoimmune disease. I am so scared ...do you think it could be lupus too??? He has no specific symptoms (the only thing we have in common is mouth ulcer, but he just have in stressful times) and his previous blood work was just fine. What do you think??
They are now curing him in order to re establish the platelet count....but they still have no an explanation and i am going mad

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Enrico,

Sorry to hear your brother is in hospital - lets hope whatever treatment be given works for him and they find the cause behind the problems and his recovery is speedy!

At least he is in hospital receiving treatment and not just ignoring his problems!

Take care!

Lesley

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Enrico, I hope you soon have the answer from the Hospital.
Of course, it could be Lupus but I expect a virus is much more likely.
Please let us know.
x Lola

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi,

Keeping you and your brother in my thoughts and prayers. I hope they get to the bottom of this soon. With no other symptoms, it does seem to lean more to a virus...let us know how he is doing.

Sharon

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi Enrico just to let you know that i send my best wishes on a speedy recovery for your brother.He is in the best place hope he feels better soon.
From Elisabeth

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Here is a good summary of the condition your brother has:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiopathic_thrombocytopenic_purpura

From reading that, it does sound like there is a decent chance of it being caused by autoimmune disease but there are other causes as well.

I'll be thinking of your brother and keeping him in my thoughts and prayers. Please update us with how he's doing and what they find out.

(((hugs)))

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Enrico, I am sorry to hear that your brother is so sick, but let's all be thankfull that he is in the hospital where he is getting the best of care, and can get help all day and all night. I just feel very strongly that they will find an answer for him, and that he will be just fine. We would like it if you would let us know how he is doing. Right now, tell him that we are all thinking of him, and wishing him the very best.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hello Enrico

I am sorry your brother is poorly and you are so worried. i have no answers, so I hope Lily's post is useful. I am keeping my fingers crossed that your brother does not have lupus. I hope you get some answrs soon and that your brother makes a good recovery. Please take care of yourself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you for your kind words.
my brother came back home last monday. his platelet count now is just fine ( from 1000 to 181000 in 4 days!!!) doctors say it was an acute autoimmune process secondary to a viral infection, but they don't think it is any chronic disease. we are still waiting for some blood results (ana, ena ecc....). please keep your fingers crossed with me. Does it make sense to you the adjective ACUTE meaning it will pass, or do you think this could be the start of something? thank you

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Acute usually means a one time event, although there can be acute flares of a chronic disease too. I wouldn't put too much stock in that word acute, and just listen to the better explanation where they seem to believe this was a one time thing. Time will tell of course! Glad to hear he is doing so well now, and let's just continue to hope and pray it was a viral infection that caused his platelets to drop so far so suddenly and he's beaten it completely...

Thanks for the update!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts