TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Inky
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I had this vaccine four years ago and now have got a letter from rheumy saying I need another as i have "low protection against most of the serotypes of pneumococcus".

I don't have a problem with this, anything to keep me from getting pneumonia. I just wondered if anyone else had had to repeat the jab as I remember the nurse saying you only had one jab for life. Obviously not if you have lupus.

Thanks
Sara

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

My Rhumy told me every year for Flu and every 2-5 for Pneumonia depending on my disease activity, medicine and exposure risks.

Hope this helps - Stephanie

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Sara,

What medications are you on?

It is well recognised that immunosupressats can reduce the effeciveness of vaccinations. It makes sense - inmmunosuppresants stop the immune system reacting, and switching on the immune system is exactly what a vaccination is meant to do. So, maybe this is the problem.

Still, lupus itself is a malfunctioning immune system, so I guess in theory it can do the same thing regardless of meds you are on.

Make sure that any vaccines you get are not live virus.

X C X

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hi there,

My doctor has advised the same thing as yours... It must be a standard....

love penny

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I was told the vaccine was a five year one. I had it years before my diagnosis and any meds. I won't be having it again as I reacted pretty badly to it and ended up with an arm that resembled a 1000 year old oak tree :(

Katharine

·
Inky
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Katharine, Penny, Kath and Stephanie.

I am on mepacrine and have been on prednisilone until last Jan so that would explain a bit I guess, I also read last night that if you have an autoimmune disorder vaccinations can be less effective, some people needing two flu jabs etc. etc.

Luckily I got no reaction to last jabs. I see my lupus nurse tomorrow so will talk it over with her. Not been well since Christmas with one infection after another which is why I had lots more immune tests taken.
Hope you all have a good day.
Sara
x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts