TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Not really sure where to post this, but looking for some feedback!

Last night I ate Portabellini mushrooms along with scrambled eggs, went to bed and then six hours later I woke up with extreme nausia, cold sweats and proceeded to vomit.

Not sure whether I have had an allergic reaction! I'm normally okay with eggs and mushrooms I have never before had a problem.

The only thing perhaps different is with the type of mushroom, although I probably have had this type before but not for a couple of years.

Feeling much better now, although still quite nauseous.


Thanks,

Lesley
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,800 Posts
I know nothing about mushroom varieties but I have extreme reactions to mushrooms.

Unfortunately they either make me violently ill if I eat too many or I need the bathroom very fast and very soon after for a small quantity.

The worst bit is I love mushrooms and used to eat them no trouble at all. Last night we went to the restaurant and one of the appetizer things was a tiny tiny amount of mushroom soup. I thought that much wouldn't do any harm (I can eat dishes with a few in them without any trouble though I don't actually eat the mushrooms themselves). Of course I was wrong. Even that little had an effect. I'll spare the details :lol:

I don't think mushrooms are a specific lupus allergy thing. I know people with lupus often have allergies but I'd say this one of mine is just a coincidence. It's also probably more an intolerance than an allergy. I don't really have allergies to other stuff (unless one counts my instant migraine reaction to some perfumes).

Katharine
 

·
elisabethm
Joined
·
512 Posts
Hi Lesley were they magic mushrooms:lol::lol: cant stand them myself hope you are feeling better soon :lol:Best wishes elisabeth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,444 Posts
The other things to consider are that it could have been food poisoning from the eggs not being cooked thoroughly enough or contaminated somehow with some raw egg material... or one of those passing stomach flu viruses and it was merely coincidence what you ate prior.

I've suffered from the stomach flu too many times in the last few years myself and you do tend to blame what you ate at that last meal though - & it's hard to bring yourself to eat the same thing again. The association can just be too strong!

If you love eggs and mushrooms, then you may want to give it a try again in the future when you're up to it and *if* you have the same reaction then you know it was one of those things.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(((Katherine))) - I love mushrooms too and would hate to avoid them. Before bed I did have more gastro irritation so swallowed a load of Gavison, which helped for a bit! I would say if it was the mushrooms if woud be an intollerance too.

(((Elisabeth))) :lol: Magic mushrooms (I wish or perhaps not:wink2:), never tried them so not sure whether I would prefer hallousinations compared to vomiting.

(((Maia))) Quite right it could be from the eggs (used the lion ones which are treated for saminlea), I did over cook them though (bit rubbery), or indeed passing stomach flu! I agree that it can be hard to eat something again that you associate with a bout of vomiting. Years back I had food poisoning from salmon which took me months to recover from - took about 4 years before I could try it again! It will be a while before I try the eggs and mushrooms again.

Last time I was sick a few months back I'd just eaten sunflower sprouts - wont be eating them again in the near future.

I've just read on the Lupus UK site information regarding bean sprouts and mushrooms and a certain something in both of them that can irritate people with Lupus!

http://www.uklupus.co.uk/bn11.html hope the link works, if not I found it in Butterfly October News, Lupus and Healthy Living!

Thanks everyone!

Lesley
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top