TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my ANA came back positve theyre sending me to the Rheumy now.. Everything else came back neg could i stillhave lupus? I dont undertsand all these things being thrown at me

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello there :)

It's not easy to understand it all and indeed you may never understand it all.

You can have lupus with only a positive ANA but that will depend on how positive (what titre?) and also on clinical examination and symptoms. Blood work alone is not enough for a diagnosis and it can also vary greatly from one person to another. Lupus doesn't have hard and fast "rules" it i a very complex disease.

If you take a look here you will see the ACR classification criteria for lupus, that may help you understand a bit better.

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33123

There's also some information on various blood tests here

http://uklupus.co.uk/tests.html

Even those links may remain too difficult to take in. The thing is it is a very complex disease and only an experienced rheumatologist really has the knowledge necessary to give you a diagnosis.

Do you have any idea when you'll be seeing the rheumy?

If you have any questions/need help preparing your appointment, don't hesitate :)

bye for now,
Katharine

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My husband is military so the whole insurance thing works through refferals i have to wait unitl friday to get a drs name to make an appt. Hopefully they will get me in soon. I do have one question though i just finsihed my medrol pack 2 days ago , have you ever been on that and if so do your symptoms usually come back after it?? I havent had any return really except burning in my face which could also be stress but i was just wondering how long they work for

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello again,

I have never actually taken the medrol packs. I'm on prednisolone but more long-term use.

I think the answer to your question depends on many things. For some people the pack is enough to nip a flare in the bud and regain control in addition to their usual baseline treatment though here I presume it was given more to see how you would react and if it would help you. It is not a long term med solution so the rheumy will be looking at putting you on the longer term disease modifying meds (if you do turn out to have lupus), most likely plaquenil.

I forgot to mention in the other post that ANA can also be positive in a number of other auto-immune diseases even if lupus seems most likely with your symptoms.

If you get any more rashes, take photos of them to take with you when going to see the rheumy. The same goes for any swollen joints or odd occurrences that might just disappear the day you see the doc.

If you are feeling too bad between now and seeing the rheumy do make sure to go back and see your regular doc. That one medrol pack might not be enough.

Katharine

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok i have one more question for you..I had a baby 8 weeks ago it was a bad birth i tore bad had to recover from that and then i had a double kidney infection because my urethra was torn durng delievery well then all this started and gosh darnit i need a night of fun. My husband and i and some friends planned a night out in Savannah Ga this weekend and even booked a hotel and got an over night baby sitter. Do you think that me drinking will hurt anything?? I wanna have a night of fun n no worries.. I havent had a chance to do anything because i was a whale during the pregnancy. He was 9lb 7oz i never left the house or anything and i need some fun go out and be crazy.. I just dont know if drinking is bad if it is lupus

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I would recommend against getting really drunk because for sure that will make you feel worse the next day, but there's nothing wrong with a few drinks over the course of a night every now and then. Especially for someone that is not on any medications that warn against use with drinking.

Some people will report that certain alcoholic drinks will make them flare or feel worse, most report red wines from what I'm recalling right now at least.

I hope you manage to stay well in the meantime and enjoy yourself on your little trip away. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts