The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have SLE/Asthma/Raynaud's/Migraines/and I think I'm leaving something off the list. haha. Anyways. I've been dealing with shortness of breath ever since I was dx with lupus x 3 yrs ago. I'm on Advair/Xoponex which have seemed to help. I stay in a constant flare and my rheumie gives me depo shots almost every other month. This last month she wouldn't give me a shot because she said it was tooo soon. So I've been dealing with this shortness of breath, ankle swelling, when I walk I get this tightness in my chest and severe shortness of breath. I've been having problems sleeping, tossing and turning all night, I can't get confortable. I also have this pain that goes into my shoulder blade and I'm unsure where it's coming from because I was also just dx with an ulcer as I was dealing with being nauseous and having stomach pain so they gave me prevacid which has helped my nausea/stomach pain but not my neck pain.

Do these symptoms sound like pericarditis? I have an appt this fri. for my cardiologist just in case as I'm kinda worried w/ the neck pain:worried:.

·
11,410 Posts
Hi SetApart,

I have never experience this symptom. So I looked it up on the home page of this site.
This is what I found.

Pericarditis is inflammation of the sac that surrounds the heart. Fairly common in http://www.uklupus.co.uk/peri.html# & easily treated with NSAIDs or steroids.
Pericarditis occurs when the lining of the pericardium becomes inflamed, because it has been attacked by antibodies.
Symptoms of pericarditis are chest pain that may feel worse when lying down & better when you sit or lean forward, fever, rapid heart beat, & shortness of breath. Sometimes patients with pericarditis have no symptoms.
It is diagnosed using blood tests, ECG, & chest x-rays.
Pericarditis does not imply organ-threatening disease, since the heart tissue is not involved.
Here is the link.

http://www.uklupus.co.uk/peri.html

Have you thought about getting a second opinion from another rhumey? This one doesn't seem to be getting your lupus under control.

Let us know how you are doing.
Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I agree with Keebler in that I think you should seek a new doctor. I am sorry your dealing with this as it is very painful.

I hope you get this under control and back to feeling good again, or at least better.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, sorry you are having so much trouble. It does sound as though you might need a second opinion if you are always ill then your lupus can't be adequately controlled. I hope your appt with the cardiologist goes well.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi,

It doesn't sound like Pericarditis that I've experienced, however it sounds like something is going on which needs further investigation. Maybe the cardiologist will be far more helpful than your Rheumy? Your symptoms could be a lot of things, but it's pretty hopeless that the Rheumy didn't investigate them further :mad:

:hug:

love
Lily

·
Pamela b
424 Posts
Hi
I had very severe pericarditis last year and ended up in hospital having fluid drained off. It was like having a heart attack. I ahve milder attacks since. It is a very sharp pain in the middle of the chest which is better when you lean forward.

I think you should see your doctor asp and get it checked out, but it doesnt sound much like I had.
Hope you get it sorted as it must be worrying for you
Pam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.