The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Amoung the other numerous aches and pains I have connected with Lupus, my shoulders, back and neck are particularly suseptable because I have bad posture. I wonder if anyone else has this problem and what they have done about it...has anyone considered a posture correction brace and found them useful? I have been looking at one called Shoulders Back and wondered if anyone else has any experince with this.

Thanks all!

RM

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

I used to have pretty severe back problems and bad posture was definitely not helping.

I don't know where you are but I did Global Postural reeducation prescribed to me by a chiroprator doctor that I used to see. Unfortunately the technique was developed by a French man and instruction for physiotherapists is, so far, only available in French which means that finding someone who can do it in England or the US is nearly impossible. There are a few physios who practice it in Canada.

It is truly amazing and far more effective than any other treatment that I tried which included normal physio, targetted work in a gym (with a physio/chiroprator)...

The great thing about it is that sessions are longer than normal physio (one hour) but extremely gentle - it suits fibro patients very well - Also, you only need a maximum of one session a week and as things improve that can be further spaced. I had to have about ten sessions a year at one stage. I haven't had to go back since starting aikido (I practice very gently and have had to take a break just now) and becoming generally more supple.

Here's a link that explains it a little - It's difficult to find explanations in English. There's loads in French if you speak it :rotfl:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/503184

I have never considered using a brace or anything similar as I feel that it is certainly not going to strengthen the good muscles and be a good longterm solution. Havig said that, I'd say that it depends on the extent of your problems. I just certainly wouldn't use such a thing without good medical advice.

I hope you get some useful answers that help you decide what to do,
Katharine

·
Administrator
10,199 Posts
Hi Roseanne,

What helped me was yoga. It helped tighten all those core muscles making it easier to hold my body upright. I give some credit to my walker also. The height is adjusted perfectly to keep my back straight and the head just tends to follow in an upright position.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi Roseanne

Yes. I sometimes get 'tension headaches' (after spending too long on pc, for example) and do suffer from arthritis of thoracic spine, which is made worse by my posture. I seem to slouch and stick my chin way forward of my chest with my shoulders rounded and my neck flexed back and never get round to changing positon of pc / chair.

I have noticed a lot of people start to 'lead with their chins' whilst walking as they get older.

I agree with Lazylegs. I am finding yoga very useful, and have used Pilates in the past. After a swim I find my shoulders, neck and upper arms are a lot less tight.

I have considered a brace, but worried it might make matters worse quicker in the long term.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Spinecor brace

My soon to be 13 year old son has who has cerebral palsy has begun to develop kyphosis, or a curve in spine from leaning forward...kind of like hunchback. The spinecor isn't FDA "approved" for CP so he is going to be the experiment kid. The brace will grow with him as opposed to the hard braces. It is suppose to wonderful for pain as it will allow a spasm but the brace will pull you back into alignment once the spasm has passed.
http://www.scoliosissystems.com/spinecor.html

·
Hazel595
713 Posts
Hello Roseanne

Sorry to hear that your are having problems with your shoulders, neck and back honey..........unless there is a spinal problem with your discs and as long your doctor agrees I would fully recommend Pilates.

I like you was having really bad pains in my shoulders and neck and thought it might be the lupus causing me problems then my physio at teh hospital suggested I also try Pilates.

I went to private session to be accessed and am now able to join in with the rest of the beginners class. My posture has improved so much and My shoulders and neck do not feel anywhere near as bad as they did. I have cut almost all the need to take painkillers......which caused me to have terrible constipation...so that is another thing that has been improved.

I am sure that if you do not feel well enough to do Pilates or Yoga then considering a posture correction brace might be another answer.

Sorry I do not have any experience of that but Jo has given you a link to look at and then you can talk it over with your doctor.

Good luck with whatever you decide to try and let us know how you get on. :pixiedust:

xxx hazel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts