TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I'm looking for further information on peoples experience of using the PowerPlate (vibration exerciser). I have wasted muscles on my left leg and it has been suggested that the PowerPlate may be a way I can build up strength - given my low energy levels.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of the use of PowerPlate by those with autoimmune connective tissue disease?

Thanks

Merle

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hi Merle,

I own a PowerPlate machine; my docs advised me to get it a couple of years ago for strength and balance training and for help with osteoporosis prevention. I asked my rheumy about any contraindications regarding people with lupus and there were none he could find; however if you have APS too, which I do, do remember that the PowerPlate is not safe to use when and if you have a clot. There are also a number of contraindications like pregnancy, severe cardiovascular disease, having pacemaker, having wounds from a recent operation, having hip and/or knee implants, acute hernia, discopathy, spondylolysis, epilepsy, severe migraine, recent IUDs, metal pins, metal plates etc. You can read a little more about the contraindications:

http://www.studioeh1.co.uk/vibration_training.php

http://www.kfitnessstudios.com/faqs.htm

Having said all that the list of contraindications is not absolute, it just means that if you suffer from one of the above conditions you should discuss matters with your medical team before you start using PowerPlate.

Personally I think it's a brilliant machine and it can help people gain muscle strength and endurance very fast! :)

Do let us know how you get on! :)

:flowery:

Zoi

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Zoi

Thanks a lot for this information - I am most encouraged. I feel this could well be a solution to my current problems and gives me lots of hope that I will not find myself prematurely disabled.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Take care

Merle

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Merle

I just wanted to add that my colleague, who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, was told by her consultant that this machine was perfectly fine for exercising with. Best of luck with the regime! :)

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Merle,
I do not have this and can not lend any helpful information about it but did want to say good luck with your plan and I hope that it helps you. It sounds like it would be of great help to you.

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Wow, it is super expensive. I looked into availability at gyms or spas nearby and nobody has one. Maybe in time someplace will.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts