The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to see my neurologist today and gave me my blood results. she said my blood sugar is a little high. she either wants me to change my eating habits and exercise. or she wants me to see an endocrinologist.

she also said if they retest me and it comes out high again that they might put me on medication. my question is can i change the blood sugar results by a healthy life style and excercise. im really scared i dont want to have something else wrong with me. i dont want to be a diabetic and want to do anything i can so this wont happen. any thoughts and advise would be appreciated thank you. i have an appt with the endocrinologist june 8th.

·
11,410 Posts
Hi Sushi,

I found this looking for you.

Pre-diabetes is a serious medical condition that can be treated. The good news is that the recently completed Diabetes Prevention Program study conclusively showed that people with pre-diabetes can prevent the development of type 2 diabetes by making changes in their diet and increasing their level of physical activity. They may even be able to return their blood glucose levels to the normal range.
Here is where I found it. It has a lot of good things to read.

http://www.diabetes.org/pre-diabetes/what-you-can-do.jsp

Hope this helps.
Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You can prevent this turning into full fledged diabetes (well there is a good chance you can prevent it at least) by:
(1) losing weight if you are overweight,
(2) eating healthy foods (essentially follow a diabetic's diet) or better
(3) exercising regularly for 30-60 minutes a day at moderate difficulty (such as a brisk walk).

Doing all three will produce the best results. Good luck to you - be sure to ask the endocrinologist for any suggestions as well and ask to be given a chance tor improve things for yourself first before going on medication if that's what you really want to do.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Sushi

think following a low GI diet helps as its eating foods that are slow release on sugars.

take care

dixy

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you very much Maia, your words mean so much to me and so much sence. yes i am overweight about 40 pds. i went on a diet a couple of weeks ago and lost 6 pds, but i fell off the wagon. now im back on track trying to do the right thing i dont want to have another health problem along with the lupus and high blood pressure. so if i do the right thing i dont have to go on medication? and does it mean i wont develop diabetes?:)

thank you dixy, what is a GI diet?:)

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Hi Sushi,

My mother was told the same thing for the last 10 years or so. So far she has managed to avoid medication by following a healthy diet and exercising daily. I hope it works for you also.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Yes Sushi, you have an excellent chance of avoiding diabetes and medication for that (& could possibly get off high blood pressure meds too) by doing all three of those things. You should be able to get the GI doctor to refer you to a dietician who can help develop a plan for you to follow.

My Dad had pre-diabetes for years before it turned into full fledged diabetes. He didn't exercise or lose weight and continued to eat many not so good for you foods.... so now he's on insulin shots as well as diabetes oral medication. The diabetic diet is pretty good, you can still have just about anything you want, but the key thing is portion size and learning what those are. He's losing a bit of weight now but it really is a struggle.

Good luck - it's not easy to change eating and exercise habits - but hopefully you'll see that by doing all three it will probably help any depression, anxiety, high blood pressure, and get those fasting blood sugar levels to drop back down to normal.

Best wishes for success for you!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you guys are the best......all your advise makes so much sense and i repeat mean so much to me. thank you so much im going to follow a low fat diet and exercise more often. :exercise::exercise:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.