The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There
I'm not sure where to post this but here goes.

Last time I was on pred my periods were frequent but brief. This time I am missing periods altogether.
I sometimes feel prementrual.....weepy and touchy :sad: but no cycle.

I am 50 and wonder is this pred, menopause or lupus.

I would be greatful if you 'women of a certain age' could help.
How was the menopause for you?
I know this is probably a silly question but how did you know? Docs used to say that if you have no periods for a year then you have reached menopause. This seems a bit archaic to me. Is it still the only way?
Will I have to wait and see after comming of steroids?

Happy to here of any experiences and how lupus came into the equation.

Enough questions I think :rolleyes:

·
Banned
202 Posts
Big Sis,

I am not quite of that certain age, however, I will be 40 in April. I can tell you that since being on the Prednisone for the past year and a half I have had all kinds of issues relating to my periods including skipping it all together at times, which I might add has never happened to me my whole life.

This one time during the summer I skopped my period, but was still feeling all of the symptoms as if I were having it.

Steroids I believe are known to cause changes in our cycles. I am not sure what dosage you are currently taking, but as you go down you might se things start to even out.

You could always have your GYN runs some tests to see if you are in deed entering Menopause.
Good Luck!
Pam

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There is another phase called perimenopause, and this precedes menopause by up to 5 or more years. During this phase you can skip periods for up to a few months, then get one again.

I wish prednisone affected my periods by making them go away! I'm jealous.

Oh, there are some blood tests that doctors can run to help answer your question. It could be all three, but I would say the most likely causes would be start of menopause or the prednisone if it's affected you in this way before. (I"m assuming you haven't had any of the strong treatments for lupus recently that can cause ovaries to stop functioning).

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
at age 50, it could be either/or.

You might like to get your hormones tested - estradiol and fsh in particular - to see where you are at. Testing normal won't rule out perimenopause, but some do start testing with lower estradiol higher fsh before they reach menopause completely. Many people start experiencing perimenopausal symptoms (skipped periods or heavy bleeding) long before it shows up in their blood work.

But, at the end of the day you will not know the full answer until you have gone off the prednisone, if that is possible.

I went through premature menopause in my 30s due to iv cytoxan treatment for my lupus.

hth

raglet

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,
I'll just wait and see I think. I'm on 10mg of pred and hope to reduce further when I see the rheumy next month.
Haven't we women got enough to cope with :angry:
Pam Like you I have all the symptoms but no bleeding.

Raglet, my lupie brain misread fsh as 'fish.' :rotfl:
I was very confused there for a moment!

·
The vortex of insanity!
154 Posts
I'm definitely not able to give the age perspective as I'm just 17, but when I was on prednisone I had very light periods, could also be because i'd just started though, and since I've been off of it I've had abnormally heavy ones. It's probably not the same thing, but you know, beginning of cycle, end of cycle, things can be similar, so I'd say it has some kind of effect.

that was probably not helpful, lol, yeah see your doctor, hope it goes better soon.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hello Bigsis
I am on 7mg of steroids (since april) and have had lots of talks with my gp in the past two years,regarding the possibility i could be starting my menopause. She said i wasnt, thats how i got sent to remy and was told i had lupus.Since april my periods have been longer in between and heavier, i think the steroids may have caused this. This week i have had hormonal blood test that has shown very high levels, they have made me appointment with doctor on tue, i have no idea what this means ? i hope things improve for you and you are able to reduce your steroid soon:)
regards
june

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
hi June, do you know which hormone level was high ?

If it was fsh, then it could be that you are indeed perimenopausal. When a person goes through menopause, their fsh increases and the estradiol levels drops.

If you post more information about your blood tests I may be able to help you with them.

hth

raglet

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Raglet
Excellent !!! i will get all results on tue, i am concerned because i rang several times to get results and the receptionist kept saying the doctor needed to look at them, so after five days i went in they asked another doctor to read the results and she asked me if i was on HRT, when i replied no, she said one of the levels was extremely high. when i asked her if my treatment may be hrt she said no way , not with all your meds, and the risk of heart attack , stroke ect. I am 46yrs will be in touch
regards
june

1 - 9 of 9 Posts