The Lupus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says guys; I've been on Pred for the last month.

I was just wondering what the do's & don'ts were with taking pred.

So far I've been taking it after lunch, with some diluted orange juice. But I stopped taking it with orange juice as I read somewhere that you shouldn't really take meds with fruit juices as they boost the power of the med! Is this true with Pred?

I've then taken my 400mg of plaquenil in the evening after dinner.

I've also been taking paracetemol for my headaches - but am wondering how much of a gap I should have between all meds?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Take pred in the morning with food. As early as possible so it doesn't disrupt your sleep patterns, with food so it (hopefully) doesn't cause stomach problems. I split my plaq dose - 200mg in the morning with breakfast (and most of my other meds), and 200mg in the evening with dinner. Paracetamol I take when I need to - I've never had a problem taking it in the morning with everything else, and I've never been told not to.

Hope that helps :hehe:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Prednisolone is best taken before 9 AM (if you're up by then - I'm not always) and with food so as to cause the least possible stomach problems.

Taken at night, it "can" disturb sleep though it has the opposite effect on me (I have, on occasion had to take an extra dose PM).

I've never heard of that orange juice thing but personally wouldn't take meds which can potentially irritate the stomach with anything "acidic".

Grapefruits and their juice is contraindicated when taking many meds but not orange juice.

Katharine

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
PS I think we've discussed the "gap" between meds question before...

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Hi Lilac and :welcome: to the site -

This is a pretty old thread so I'm going to close it now. I think a few members have tried alternate day therapy, if you open a new thread of your own on the topic you should get some relevant responses.

Take care,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.