The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I have been given the go ahead from my doctor to start reducing my prednisolone. My Azathioprine seems to be kicking in !!.I have been told to reduce 1mg a month, found going down 7mg one day 6mg next day for two weeks then staying on 6mg for the remaining two weeks. I would like to know what you normally do when you get down to 1mg ? when i asked if i would get off this completely ? she answered maybe, Why? i have been on this for a year. What is the longest anyone has been on this and managed to get
off ? . Is there a test to see if your making enough steroid of your own ?
Thankyou for any info
regards
june

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Symptoms will tell you if you are making it on your own - the test will really come when you keep going reducing below 7mg. It is almost to be expected though that symptoms will occur with each drop, and they can be temporary.

There is actually a test to see if you are still making the body's version of cortisone/prednisone, but it isn't automatically run (instead symptoms are used to determine if this test is necessary).

People have been on it for a long time, longer than a year, and managed to get off prednisone. When you get down to 1, or even 2 you may want to ask your doctor about alternate day dosing (take 1mg one day, then none, then 1, etc.)

Good luck - hope you sail through each prednisone reduction ;)

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
June,

When I have been on prednisone and I am ready to start tapering I taper 1/2mg at a time in the way you described. I am usually able to get down to 5 before my body starts screaming then I spend upwards of 6 weeks per 1/2mg reduction. The first round with Lupus I was on prednisone for 8 years most of that time was between 7.5 and 10mg. This time around I am with a doctor who doesn't like long term prednisone use, however he had to get me stable before he had me completely stop. I think I was on prednisone for 2.5 years but the last year was 4mg which is a pretty low dose.

Take care,
Karen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts