The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on 10mg for a week last week, went off it, felt like crap again.. back on 10mg a day now (20 for Prime Week—I work at Amazon and have some double shifts) then down to 5mg through August and probably September. I’ve read a few places that if you take it “long term” that you should carry a medical alert card. Is my prescription “long term”? They’ll want me to have a badge at work if so but there’s no point in asking if I’m not on it “long term”. Also, low much/how long does it usually take to suppress your immune system to a degree you should actually care about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,202 Posts
I doubt your doctor will leave you on it long term but that is a question for the doctor. Instead if you continue to have symptoms your doctor may add a steroid sparing medication for the future.

·
4,438 Posts
Hiya... just to say that if you are on the higher dose for over 2 weeks you need to taper the dose downwards under drs instructions... you can't just go up and down with the doses, as that would be detrimental to your body.
I take immuno suppressants and have got to 3.5mgs of steroids, took me years !! But my dr has said he wishes me to stay there longterm.... as at a recent medical convention in Canada it was suggested that if you come off altogether, the vast majority will do well for 2/3 yrs but then have a problem again , worse than before. So it is suggested we stay on a low dose of steroids to prevent the disease from whacking us hard again further down the line. This is only based on the conversation I have had with my Consultant... not done any research of my own :0) ...Claire

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello. I have been on prednisone for 14 yrs. I also have gone up and down as flares arise. I was on 5 mg for years. My pulmonologist increased me to 10 mg a day 3 yrs ago. I will take an extra if I am having a bad day. I never heard of the medical bracelet for prednisone.

Lori

·
Registered
759 Posts
I was on prednisolone 10mg recently for about a month, then decreased to 9mg for 2 weeks, then 8mg for 2 weeks, steadily reducing every 2 weeks, until I was off them. In all, I was taking them a six month period.
I was given a little Steroid Alert card to carry whilst I was on them.

·
95 Posts
Doctors and pharmacists like to know if we are taking Prednisolone, because the drug does lower our immune system.
I remember the questioner for the yearly flu shot asked me if I was taking the drug and what the dose was. Carrying a card is an excellent idea, I believe. Especially, if there was a reason that you could not answer the question for yourself. Or loved ones could not be reached, in case of an emergency.

·
95 Posts
Doctors and pharmacists like to know if we are taking Prednisolone, because the drug does lower our immune system.
I remember the questioner for the yearly flu shot asked me if I was taking the drug, and what the dose was. Carrying a card is an excellent idea, I believe. Especially, if there was a reason that you could not answer the question for yourself. Or loved ones, could not be reached, in case of an emergency.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.