The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i just found out last week that I am expecting again. This is my 6th pregnancy although I only have one living child. I lost my little boy in the 2nd trimester in August 06 and had a further 3 miscarriages over the following year, my last in August 07.
My ob-gyn consultant has put me on 40mg Clexane daily, and 75mg aspirin daily. I was taking aspirin on my last 2 pregnancies and they didn't work out so hope the clexane will do a fab job for me this time. My partner is injecting me as I can't bear to do it myself even though I give my nan her weekly injections! i am bruising terribly from the jabs, and it really burns when its being injected, and for about 5-10 mins afterwards, although the burning lasted about 20mins for the first 2 days, is this normal?
Of course, I'm not officially diagnosed with lupus. My consultant seems to think I flare during pregnancy as I tested +ve for lupus anticoagulant (I think thats the one) the day after i gave birth to my angel baby boy, and -ve when not pregnant. Well I dunno if I'm flaring right now, the light is hurting my eyes, I've had a low-grade fever most of the week, have pain in my wrists and burning and pain in my knees like I get when my period is due.
I am seeing my consultant on Monday so I guess I will ask him to test me again. i'm not allowed to take my diclofenac due to the pregnancy and clexane so i don't know how I'm going to manage. Then again, these injections are hurting, and I would gladly inject myself 20 times a day if I knew there was a better chance of me taking this little one home safe.
I now have a 70% chance of taking a healthy baby home now I'm taking these injections, compared to a grim 10% if I didn't.
just trying to stay positive :)
Rhi xxx

·
Registered
642 Posts
Oh Rhi
Wishing you the very best of luck with this pregnancy.:fingers:
I think bruising at the injection site is quite common but look out for bruising elsewhere.
I hope your docs can sort out some pain releif for you too.

Keep us informed

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Congratulations on your pregnancy, though I am sure it is a bitter sweet time for you. I had multiple miscarriages too, and have one daughter. I have antiphospholipid syndrome, as do many others on this site.

Some people do seem to only show antibodies when pg, I have no idea why (I am not one of them, I always test positive for antibodies). Clexane does sting, and there is not much you can do about that I find, but I know you won't mind a bit as this does seem to be a good treatment for many women.

best of luck with your pg, I will be keeping you in my thoughts

raglet

who never tried again after she finally had her daughter !

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Congratulations Rhi!

Your chances are much better now with the Clexane, just do your best to focus on that. Pain relief options are limited when pregnant, but prednisone is very safe and very effective if your pain is due to an autoimmune disease. This would be a good time to talk to your rheumy, and have further testing done. If the symptoms become quite disabling, a trial of prednisone could very well be considered and tried.

Also, Plaquenil is very safe during pregnancy. This could help your symptoms and also lessen the risk of miscarriage (assuming you have an autoimmune disease). Although it would take a few months to have a noticeable effect.

I hope your symptoms improve by the second trimester. I was one of the lucky 25-33% that get a remission while pregnant. The second trimester onward the baby will provide you with extra cortisone (body's own prednisone) which is thought to provide the improvement many women with lupus find happening to them!

Congratulations again - keep us posted. I'll keep you and little one in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Rhi,

Sending you congratulations and best wishes. I've nothing to add to what Maia already said.

I hope things go well for you - who knows - maybe the extra attention and testing during pregnancy will help with your road to diagnosis.

All the best,

X C X

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much, you lot really are a helpful bunch xx
i'm seeing my GP today as i can't tolerate these pains anymore, i honestly don't care if I can't take painkillers, I'll have to put up with it.
I was flaring badly last night and took paracetamol which did nothing! I also came out in a 'poor circulation' blotchy red/purple rash on my upper arms and on both legs, took photos so I can show my GP today. Maybe this will now push them to refer me to a rheumatologist or do more tests so I can finally get a proper diagnosis, whatever it is. I just need to know what i have so I know the risks for my baby, and possibly get more suitable medication that will help reduce the chance of another loss if they know what's causing it iygwim? I just spoke to my nan on the phone (who has really bad arthritis since she was 12) and she says I described the pain and throbbing I get exactly as she has it!
Thanks again, will update when I get back from the docs xxx
Rhi xxx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
I just wanted to say that yes clexane burns and you bruise very easily around injection site, but burn will be less if you can angle needle just under skin.
Also it does work miracles for many women, including me. I lost 7 consecutive pg's before being given clexane with my son, now almost 3.
I am currently 12 weeks pg with clexane again, and as all my mc's were very early think we are over the hump.
Best of luck

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Rhi

I am wondering how you got on. There is usually no objection to Prednisone in pregnancy which could reduce the pains by reducing inflammation.
It would be surprising if they will start even Plaquenil at this point but it will be interesting to know what they propose.

You mentioned a blotchy rash - have a look at the pictures of livedo reticularis linked to in a post in the Lupus Skin thread 'stuck' at the top of Symptoms section.

You should also be tested for anti -Ro antibodies, assuming they will be running other lupus related tests.

All the best
Clare

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much again ladies x To everyone who posted, I am sorry for all your losses also, but so relieved to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Sorry for not updating earlier, I think I updated on the 'not diagnosed yet' bit. I saw my GP and he has referred me to a rheumatologist. He was concerned about the rash I showed him. And Clare - thank you, it is exactly the same rash - livedo reticularis. Of course my GP didn't say that but looking at the pics, yep thats what it is. I'm confused though - is this a classic symptom of lupus or APS? And does it matter that it's not all over my body, but usually on my upper arms and knees?
Will take about 8 weeks to get an appointment, but I am seeing my consultant tomorrow and having a scan. My GP asked me to tell him to write or get in touch with the rheumy too to push them to see me sooner.

I am 7 weeks pregnant today, and a tiny weight has been lifted, all my pregnancies have lasted shorter than the last, and my last one was at 6 weeks so I'm confident that the clexane is doing me and my baby the world of good.
Thanks all again x
Rhi xx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts