The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there

I have been driving around for years with numb feet, and it really hasn't been a problem. I still knew where to put my feet, and how to apply or decrease pressure on the pedals to make the car go or stop.

Really not a problem.

Lately I am 'forgetting' where the pedals are in relation to each other. So moving my foot over from the accelerator to the brake is a bit of a mystery as I am not exactly sure where the brake is. Once I have done is successfully once then it is ok for the rest of the trip. So I make sure the once happens imediately when I start driving very very slowly (usually happens naturally as I manoever out of a park, or back out of the drive then brake so I can head off in the right direction).

It is really really weird. I have started googling 'hand controls' for cars, as it does seem like this may become necessary if this is going to be a permanent feature. It is just all this stupid damage I have in my CNS. This is definitely a positional thing, rather than a nerve function thing, and is really getting to be a nuisance.

Well, I guess I am just moaning some more - heck, if I had a million (why settle for a dollar!) for everytime I moaned lately I'd be a billionaire by now.

Going in for more rituxan, steroid pulse plus cytoxan next week - oh joy

cheers

raglet

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Raglet,

It does ound disconcerting.

Lets hope that it is some temorary CNS inflamation and the meds shut it up again.

I think the car modifications must be redily available (paraplegics often have them and still drive effectively and safely). Probably very expensive unless disability allowances will chip in.

Lets hope it doesn't come to that:)

X C X

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty sure that I could apply to the lotteries board for car adaptations if I have to go that far, which I hope I don't. I guess it is likely that I will get there eventually, but not yet I hope !

stupid feet, hope they remember where they are meant to go :wink2:

raglet

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Raglet, I wonder if an automatic might be the answer. There are just 2 pedals - one for go and one for stop, so one foot on each and you're set.

Maybe very un kiwi....I rarely see them in europe either but I had one in australia and loved it - also makes hill starts easy as you don't need the hand brake.

And getting a 2nd hand automatic must be cheaper than modifications?

Take care,

Hug, Cath

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've already got an auto - I can't drive a manual anymore as I am not able to push the clutch in properly. Fortunately a truck came around the corner and wrote off my last manual about the time that I needed to switch to an auto so the decision was made for me (i wasn't hurt in the accident).

I definitely like the 'there's a stop pedal and a go pedal' mentality - I swore for many years that I would never drive an automatic, but I must say I like it even if I do call it my Noddy car ......

cheers

Raglet

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Raglet,

I think we'd all be rich if we had a dollar (or a euro) for everytime we had moaned. We should definitely patent that idea....

It must be rather unerving not knowing exactly where to find the pedals. Even though I only have pretty mild neuropathy I do go through spells of not prticulary enjoying driving with sleepy feet.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing looking into hand controls as it could be really dangerous if it happened at the wrong time or of you're trial "braking" at the begnning of a drive wasn't eough.

Katharine

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hey Raglet:

Why not just request a limo with driver? I mean you should be a billionaire and they all have them...a really tall, muscular, dark haired hunk? right, so he can help you in and out of the car???? Eye candy for the trips to the grocery and all?

I am sorry you are having such a tough time of it again! I think the hand control are a good idea! I don't have numb feet, but I do have constant vertigo, so I know how disconcerting issues can be when your driving.

Love stephanie

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sorry to hear this Raglet and I hope it's just temporary.

Hugz, :hug:

Pam xxx

·
Administrator
10,179 Posts
Hi Raglet,

My neuro says to follow your knee. If your knee is in line with the pedal you most likely will not miss.

I looked into the hand controls at one point. At that time I didn't feel they were worth the money. The people I know that use them say it is just a matter of retraining your brain. The felt they were worth every penny if it meant their independence.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I was dx with MS in 2005 and what you describe is exactly what i deal with on a daily basis.

I know MS and Lupus mimic each other but it is crazy how much they are alike.

Maybe the steroids will get this under control for you.

If not, hand controls are a great idea as a last resort.

Hope this reverses itself for you.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will definitely try the follow your knees thing, it makes a lot of sense. I am just not sure that I can move my knees side ways as it is hard to get my legs under the steering wheel because of my ankle foot orthotics - plastic splints that come up to my knees and hold my ankles rigid (motor nerve damage). My feet just bash into the pedals as my leg gets pushed down by the steering wheel if i move them side ways as I can't adjust the angle of my ankle so enable me to move. But I will check to see if I can do the follow the knee thing or not, it's an interesting idea, and I may be able to adjust it a little.

When I drive I just have to plant my heel on the floor of the car, keep it in the same place and swivel the front part of my foot between the two pedals as that way I can move between the pedals without having to reposition my legs.

I will definitely have a play before I set off next time - thanks for the tip !

Raglet

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
think I'm gonna need a bigger driveway to park this thing in it ........

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Show off! :p :lol:

·
Registered
995 Posts
I dont' have cns but I have lupus and fibro, I had to give up driving as I was having problems with switching from the break to the gas. and also remembering the red and green lightss. it has been a huge lose not to be out on my own .always having to find drives if I need to go somewhere

don't give up if things don't get better, get the hand controls
this started about two years ago when I would forget were I was going. crazy lupus does things to us. I keep telling my rheumy but he just says it is lupus, ha well that I know

best wishes raglet that things get better. and you are not complaining.just living within what happens to you. and venting is the best way to go

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Raglet, if you find somebody who's paying folks to moan, just send 'em in my direction....:rotfl::rotfl:

I know how hard it is to lose driving ability. I have had periods of time ranging from a couple days to a couple months when I couldn't drive. I don't really know what causes it, but sometimes I get terribly confused by motion. I can't do much of anything that requires using both of my hands -- never mind my feet -- without becoming horribly confused and feeling like everything's sliding off to one side or the other. Usually left. Hmmmmmm, wonder what that says about me??

Anyway, it's hard losing your ability to get out and about alone. Every time it happens I'm terrified that this is the time when it won't go away. So far, I'm still standing. driving I mean.

I hope you get relief from this and get back to comfortable driving. Otherwise, hand controls don't sound too bad if it will preserve your independence.

Good luck,
Sunny

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Raglet,
You need to whatever it takes to heep your independance, because losing my license due to the seizures has been a BIG pain in the bottom.
Plus your doggies need to go to the park:lol: I think you have to be safe too at the same time though.
I would be very rich if I got paid for all my whining:rolleyes: My hubby would be thrilled and I wouldn't have to wait for ssd either and I could afford that limo!!:lol: What to do with all that $$$$$$:)

I hope you are feeling better!!!

HUGS,
Becca

1 - 16 of 16 Posts