TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

In several posts i have read that "lupus is not a progressive disease" as in example from another post from Joan below..
I am not sure i understand why not because if someone is having only joint and muscle pain at the time of diagnosis, and it is very possible that organs can be effected eventualy, does that not mean it's progressive ?
Can someone explain...

"Your doctor is not technically correct when he says 'early stage Lupus' although its a phrase thats sometimes used to explain Lupus which hasnt yet attacked any major organs. Lupus doesn't have 'stages' in the way some other diseases have. Its not a progressive disease. Many people will live their lives with a relatively easy course with their disease while others will not be so lucky. Its hard to say what will happen and thats the unpredictability of it"

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Redfox,
I think what is meant(or at least how I think of it) is that it is not a foregone conclusion that things will get worse. Indeed, some people do actually improve especially when they are past menopause. Regular monitoring is extremely important so that any changes are picked up early but it is important that we don't lead our lives in a state of dread of things becoming worse. I have had this illness for over 25 years, I am fairly stable these days although I am not well enough to work, I have not had a major health scare for a few years.
Hope this helps, and I am sure others will explain better.
x Lola

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lola
Thank you for your reply
I am 46 years old...
I have read that menopause can lessen symptoms..
I hope I hit menopause soon !!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Redfox;527243 said:
Hi Lola
Thank you for your reply
I am 46 years old...
I have read that menopause can lessen symptoms..
I hope I hit menopause soon !!
Lol ive been there wore the t shirt early, and still it has not lessened my symtoms, but hey mabye im unlucky, its not been my year. but we are all different some are great on medication and things settle down, maybe some take longer,

but most of all try to stay positve, :hehe:hugs Lin xxx

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Redfox

I think Lola explained it very well :) It is true that for some people the course of their disease can be severe and difficult to control. However for many, many others it is manageable and never becomes life threatening. In that respect it cant be truly considered a progressive disease as its course cannot be predicted. The best way of describing Lupus is that it is a 'relapse-remitting' disease where someone can go for periods with minimal or no symptoms (remitting) and then the disease activity can suddenly increase again(relapsing).

On the other hand a disease like Parkinsons, for example, is deemed progressive as the symptoms keep getting worse over time leading to the person becoming increasingly disabled.

Hope that helps
Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Isnt that good news!!!
Lupus isnt a nice disease but thats a bit of good news in a way.
Also good news is that the joint inflammation doesnt cause so much damage as it may do if it was Rheumatoid arthritis. The symptoms are similar but the damage isnt so bad.
I like good news.
Sal x :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts