The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did some research on protein in urine and it seems that if you have protein in urine that further testing is done. I haven't read anything about it that says no further testing and I just wanted some of your experiences as to when it showed was further testing done? It is not trace but +1 so although I realize it is not severe amount at all, it still is not just a trace.

It seems that since I have protein, rbc, mucos, bacteria, renal epithelial cells being found that it would necessitate some type of further testing to just make sure. All my urine in the past has been pretty much normal with nothing showing.

I just want to make sure that I am not mislead by the rhemo who gave me the impression it is nothing to worry about today.

(I forgot to add that I do have low grade fever, slight pain in abdomen/cramping, slight back ache, and feel a little like bladder is moving) but it is hard at times to seperate some of these smptoms and know what is what.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Paula,

Was it on dipsticks that they found 1+? If so then I have found that dipsticks tend to read a little higher than actual lab readings.......... at least that's been my experience and also Cath's from memory. A trace in itself is nothing to worry about. The epithelial cells if in small amounts are often due to sloughing of the skin cells during the testing process, but if they are in higher amounts can indicate a problem with the ureter rather than anything else (this is quite common in Sjogrens rather than Lupus).

Hope this helps,

love
Lily

·
Registered
149 Posts
I too keep wondering at what point they will decide that persistent protein needs investigation. I've been showing traces on every dipstick test regularly for the last year, and as far as I know have not had any blood work to check kidney function, or further urine proteinalysis.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Paula

I would want further checking of the bacteria they found. I have had UTI's twice now without the usual symptoms, only slightly increased need to pee, but I did have cramps like premenstrual ones ( impossible at my age) and a general feeling of being unwell and more than usually tired.

I don't know what renal epithelial cells means. I quite often have epithelial ones.

I think that protein levels can go up along with UTI's and for other reasons.
If it continues to be raised then a 24 hour collection might be in order.

Good Luck with it all.

Clare

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi again,

I glossed over the bacteria..............I never have bacteria and if you do then that in itself is enough to instigate further investigation regardless of your other results. If it's ongoing then yes proteinuria is a result of the bacteria causing some damage.

love
Lily

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for your replies

It was not a dip test, it was lab and was by microscope.

My regular doctor has not called me so guess I will wait until Monday unless something more severe comes up.

I am still having cramps and some pain here and there like little twinges. I am not urinating half as much as I am drinking. I have this discharge (sorry I know kind of gross) and am keeping a watch on that as well.

Either way I have decided that no matter what my rhemo has said, I will talk with my gp on Monday and see what his opinion is. I would rather be safe than sorry later on, especially where none of this has showed up before.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi Hellos

Protein, red blood cells, bacteria, mucus and renal casts = It sounds like a urinary tract infection. Your twinges and bladder discomfort sound about right, but the discharge suggests it's pretty set in and you really ought to be on antibiotics because if it develops into pylonephritis it can be very painful indeed.

You can get a very high temperature and become quite dehydrated, sometimes it can make you start to vomit too, so do continue to drink plenty - as if you are trying to 'flush' your bladder - until you see your gp. If your temperature goes up and you can take them, take a couple of paracetemol every 4-6hours with lots of water.

You should see your GP and you should get some treatment.

As far as other problems are concerned, I don't have enough knowledge. I do not know what suggests kidney problems, but the UTI can easily travel from bladder to kidney (pylonephritis) and it should be avoided.

If it is a UTI it should be treated if you have symptoms because it is no fun and can make you feel very poorly indeed.

They often do ignore it if you are asymptomatic and the body often just sorts itself out.

sounds like you are past that stage to me.

take care.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello again

My gp called and said it is a UTI and that cramps are a symptom of it even without burning. He also said that it all indicates an infection and your wbc does not to be high. He also wondered if the immune suppresent meds I am on would make the wbc not show as much if it was fighting something. Not sure about that one.

But they gave me bactrum I think and strong strong dose. Told me to go to gynocologist for some discharge but I am going to wait and see if this clears up all. I don't feel up to going there and they will just say bladder probably anyway so I'll take meds and see what happens.

I am very very tired and feel my stomache feels sick and cramps in back and front........

better days ahead? I hope so.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Paula
It might be too late now but I would ask for another antibiotic like ampicilline ( sp? ) for example. Bactrim is a "sulfa" antibiotic and about one third of us react badly with lupus flares. Of course you might be in the two thirds that are fine
Best of luck and feel better soon
Clare

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THank you Clare for telling me that.

I did pick it up last night and took it and just had real bad stomache cramps and my fever is higher this morning.

I called my doc and asked to switch and told the nurse that I would rather not take that chance of getting a worse flare. She said she would have doc change and put in my file not to take the sulfa drugs. Of course, it may not even bother me, but with the variety of drugs out there, I'd rather not have to take that chance if I don't have too.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts