The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Randomly in the past and in this past May I had urine tests done during routine visits.. each time I have had a higher then normal protein level .. but it is not a lot.. I walk out being told I probably have a small UTI infection even though I have no symptoms.. is it ok to have even small protein levels in your urine when you have lupus?
I am doing fairly well on the steroids.. they are helping soooo much.. I know the side effects are rough but its worth it all (so far) My platelets dropped as well as my white count but I am hopeful that the medication will help with that as well.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
"trace" amounts of protein showing up from time to time are of next to no concern... and can be due to contamination of skin cells or a minor UTI (although usually there are other indicators of a UTI in a sample). Even +1 does not concern doctors too much but anything higher than that is not OK and will warrant a 24 hour urinalysis collection/test & possibly more tests/treatment depending on results.

It sounds like you've had trace amounts showing up which isn't too bad and does not normally indicate a problem even in a healthy person. But when protein shows up and you have lupus, then it definitely needs to be monitored a bit more closely which it sounds like is happening for you.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
It's good that you dr is on top of it. The earlier they catch anything the better.

I always feel better when on steroids...I call them my mirtacle pill, but it's not good to be on higher doses for long periods due to all the side effects.

Are you on anything else? Have you discussed non-steroidal treatment options?

Hope you feel well soon.

Stephanie

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, my urine shows +2 , so I am assuming its nothing to worry about?!
I am on Prednisone and Beta Blockers but nothing else. I am exhausted right now.. may just take a nap.. I have a nasty sore throat this morning..

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

I don't want to raise undue concern....+2 is something, if it is consistent, that should be checked by a nephrologist. I had numbers like that for 6 months and now see a nephrologist...I am considered to have kidney involvement.

I wish you bet of luck...let us know how you get on.

Stephanie

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what exactly does +2 protein in ones urine mean?? I am in the midst of getting all information to my doctors but its been nuts. :eek:

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi,

That result like any needs to be read in conjunction with other results to have any significance. It would also need to be consistent to have any significance.

Were these results from microscopy (i.e. sent away to lab) or on dipstick results taken whilst you were there?

Were they accompanied by other urine abnormalities for example leucocytes, nitrites, red cells etc. etc. ?

love
Lily

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They were concerned that I had a heart attack from black outs.. and had me
urinate in a cup at the ER and took blood as well..
OK here is what it says:

Leukocyte esterase, urine +1 (above high normal)
Protein, urine +2 (above high normal)
Squamous epithelial cell UR AU +2 (small amount)
WBC urine auto 13 (0-3)
RBC urine auto 3 (0-3)
Bacteria, urine auto 0 (none)
Bilirubin, nitrite, and blood all were negative
Specific gravity urine auto 1.011 (1.002-1.035)
Glucose and ketone all normal

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also I will say that for months now I have had protein in my urine.. My Obgyn had given me a few test in the previous months.. but they were always +1....
;)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi again,

It would seem on that occasion that you had a urinary tract infection because of the positive Leukocyte Esterase & high white cell count, so some protein would be normal in an infection. Some protein is also normal with heart problems.

However if you have had other ocassions where there was no infection or heart problems then it's worth getting a 24hr urinalysis done via your GP to see how much protein you are losing in a day.

Hope this helps,

love
Lily

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks.. I actually laughed at the guy who gaveme antibiotics for a UTI.. I have NO symptoms of one.. had one before so I know. Well thanks again. I will bring it up at my next appointment.. just as precausion.. I am off to start me LONG day - son has surgery today and daughter scoli xrays.. :faint:

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi again,

Yes I would definitely bring it up. Seeing as there was no bacterial growth on that test, it's possible the white cells were from inflammation. There was some contamination of the specimen I'd say because that's how you get squamous ephithelial cells and sometimes a small amount of protein. But the reading for white cells is quite high, so you wouldn't expect that just from contamination............buth then I'm no doc :wink2: just what I've learnt through my own journey.

Hope your son's surgery went well and that daughters x-rays are ok.

love
Lily

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I will have them look into it .. better safe then sorry.. UGH I left at 8:30am and camehome at 10pm.. its a long story but I feel like crap. I feel like I have the flu without fevers,..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you this is helpful

Thank you this is very helpful. I had protein in my urine +1, high white blood cell count, and about three UTI infections in a row. The only change in my life is a new migraine medicine Topamax. I think topamax drys you out...I am suppose to drink plenty of fluids with this new medicine. I don't know what is going on. I haven't had a UTI infection since I was in college. The Doctors are watching me. I am drinking lots of water and cranberry juice.
Thanks again,
Mary Ann

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello. Just spoke with my Rheumy over the phone.. he was going on vacation and wanted to speak with me before he left.. He said that my urine showed no growth even though I had white cells and protein and wants me to have the 24 hour test done when I see my internalist on the 6th of August..

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Your Rheumy really sounds like he is on the ball which is a good thing :thumbs: good luck with the test.

love
Lily

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks.. yes he is on the ball.. very nice man.. very smart and has a great balance between illness and person.. ya know?!
Right now I am having a hard day.. but tomorrow will be here soon enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts